Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leviton Announces HomeKit Hardware

Leviton Announces HomeKit Hardware

http://www.residentialsystems.com/ne...-control/89100

Maybe now that another big lighting company has joined HK, Lutron will add more hardware to Caseta? One thing that was mentioned in another thread was the need for a rocker type switch which are much easier to locate when walking into a darkened room such as a bedroom. I'll be adding a few of these Leviton switches to my system for just that reason. Wake up Lutron!

While it would be nice to have other devices, I'm very leery of WiFi based lighting systems. A well planed out Lutron system with integration to other systems is quite effective and versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF4ME View Post
    http://www.residentialsystems.com/ne...-control/89100

Maybe now that another big lighting company has joined HK, Lutron will add more hardware to Caseta? One thing that was mentioned in another thread was the need for a rocker type switch which are much easier to locate when walking into a darkened room such as a bedroom. I'll be adding a few of these Leviton switches to my system for just that reason. Wake up Lutron!

Quote Originally Posted by Otharcharr View Post
    While it would be nice to have other devices, I'm very leery of WiFi based lighting systems. A well planed out Lutron system with integration to other systems is quite effective and versatile.
    Are you worried about security or reliability as far as using a WiFi based system? There are some VERY strict security standards that must be met to be allowed in the HomeKit garden. And as far as the Lutron system as it is now, there's still too many missing pieces to be truly effective and versatile IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think Caseta is probably the best out there right now for the DIY'er, but it's also very basic and very limited and hasn't been expanded very much since being introduced. https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-the-New-Stuff

Just look at their other systems to see what *could* be added by Lutron, but hasn't been. I suspect that's not because they can't, but because they don't want to a) alienate their professional installers and b) don't want to canibalize their other, more expensive systems.

It's not the security. It's the communication topography and protocols. There is a ton of traffic in the 2.4 GHz space and very little in the 15.231 Every AP, baby monitor, etc... is sucking up bandwidth and as more and more things go wireless, it's only going to get worse in that spectrum. Plus the Levity has no 3-way/4-way switching capabilities so for someone like myself that does like to have the physical switches, Lutron is the best option.

The fact that the Caseta does talk HomeKit with the Pro bridge as well as other native device/system integrations gives you tons of options. I see zero advantages with Leviton other then you could control more individual lights. As far as integration, Lutron has everyone else beat.

Are you worried about security or reliability as far as using a WiFi based system? There are some VERY strict security standards that must be met to be allowed in the HomeKit garden. And as far as the Lutron system as it is now, there's still too many missing pieces to be truly effective and versatile IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think Caseta is probably the best out there right now for the DIY'er, but it's also very basic and very limited and hasn't been expanded very much since being introduced. https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...-the-New-Stuff

Just look at their other systems to see what *could* be added by Lutron, but hasn't been. I suspect that's not because they can't, but because they don't want to a) alienate their professional installers and b) don't want to canibalize their other, more expensive systems.

5. Likes Zach R., dvpvic, HomeKit liked this post
    You must have an incredibly basic system if you don't feel the need for any of this below which I mentioned in that other thread:
    Needed:
    Dimmers and switches to also send commands to other dimmers/switches
    Multiple tap, press and hold etc as a way to use a single switch or pico to perform different functions
    True multi-button scene controllers
    Occupancy sensors
    Motion sensors
    Light sensors
    Multiple user geofence options that can trigger events based on whether all are home or away
    Higher voltage switch for heaters etc
    More and better integration with other systems such as alarms, thermostats, security cameras etc
    Would be nice:
    A way to integrate their other systems such as RadioRa into Caseta (I know I'm dreaming)
    A toggle type switch; in some rooms such as bedrooms and bathrooms you tend to feel for the switch which is impossible with Caseta switches/picos
    Water leak sensor
    Vibration sensor
    Power usage sensor
    Door sensor

Also maybe re-read my first post:
    You must have an incredibly basic system if you don't feel the need for any of this below which I mentioned in that other thread:
    Needed:
    Multiple tap, press and hold etc as a way to use a single switch or pico to perform different functions
    Occupancy sensors
    Motion sensors
    Light sensors
    Multiple user geofence options that can trigger events based on whether all are home or away
    More and better integration with other systems such as alarms, thermostats, security cameras etc
    Would be nice:
    A way to integrate their other systems such as RadioRa into Caseta (I know I'm dreaming)
    A toggle type switch; in some rooms such as bedrooms and bathrooms you tend to feel for the switch which is impossible with Caseta switches/picos
    Water leak sensor
    Vibration sensor
    Power usage sensor
    Door sensor

Also maybe re-read my first post:

I'd be perfectly happy if Lutron would add these things to Caseta, but like I also said, it may be more of a marketing decision to not expand their system. Also, even if they do add some of the things I mentioned above, they will probably never add all of it so at some point, I'm sure I'll have to add hardware from other companies which may or may not be WiFi . What I care most about is that the equipment "Works With HomeKit". That's enough of an endorsement for me in the quality of the product. In the meantime, I'll add a few of these toggle switches and see how well they work. BTW, I recently moved to a townhouse community with WiFi everywhere and I haven't had any problems with my equipment.

You would not get fair into your system with all those items and a 50 item limit on the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    You would not get fair into your system with all those items and a 50 item limit on the hub.
    Yea that's another problem that is probably driven by Lutron not wanting to canibalize their more expensive systems. You can add that to my list.

9. Likes Sawdust, HomeKit liked this post
    Occupancy sensors
    Motion sensors
    Light sensors
    Would be nice:
    Water leak sensor
    Vibration sensor
    Power usage sensor
    Door sensor
    In defense of Lutron (Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago), that is a large list. We are talking about a privately held company that invented the dimmer. Their corporate philosophy is to create the best product in a category that has less than ideal offerings. Why invent a different mouse trap? Only do it if you can build the best. This is why they haven't done things like home audio. Making all of these devices above would take them from their core competency. Let someone else who is good at those things build those things. They just haven't seen the value of just letting the dimmer people make the dimmers.

As far as the "artificial" limits on Caseta- the things you are asking for are well beyond 99.999% of a DIY user where Caseta is marketed. Complaining about this is moot, if you require greater integration and more tools, then you are a far more advanced user than Caseta. When was the last time a full time auto mechanic purchased is daily use tools from Harbor Freight? He goes and buys the top-notch tools from a specialty manufacturer. Sounds like you need a better hammer than Caseta can provide.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

11. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Just want to add:
    1). Who cares if it works with HomeKit if the signal does not make it to the HomeKit hardware. That is the value of Lutron's Clear Connect RF
    2). Why do you want dimmers and switches to talk to each other as a needed feature? Presumably to bounce the signal longer range? A Caseta table lamp dimmer apparently can now optionally repeat the signal. Max 1 device per system. There... system range is now enhanced.
    3). I could not agree more with SanDiegoRep. I think AJF4ME is looking for RadioRA2 features. Perhaps his issue is pricing points?
    4). I agree that having the option to migrate or upgrade to higher end systems like RadioRA2 is a needed feature and Lutron is the only company in the business that is positioned to be able to offer this scalability. Here's to hoping Lutron makes this possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ekimla View Post
    Just want to add:
    1). Who cares if it works with HomeKit if the signal does not make it to the HomeKit hardware. That is the value of Lutron's Clear Connect RF
    2). Why do you want dimmers and switches to talk to each other as a needed feature? Presumably to bounce the signal longer range? A Caseta table lamp dimmer apparently can now optionally repeat the signal. Max 1 device per system. There... system range is now enhanced.
    3). I could not agree more with SanDiegoRep. I think AJF4ME is looking for RadioRA2 features. Perhaps his issue is pricing points?
    4). I agree that having the option to migrate or upgrade to higher end systems like RadioRA2 is a needed feature and Lutron is the only company in the business that is positioned to be able to offer this scalability. Here's to hoping Lutron makes this possible.
    Clear Connect RF -> Totally agree this has huge value, especially with the new repeater functions. This beats any WiFi or Bluetooth switch

Dimmers and switches talking to each other: I disagree. Many people's intent is to link or pair dimmers rather than adding extra unnecessary remotes. I personally would like dimmers with 4-button scene faces, or a faceless dimmer that can accept a Pico remote face.

Caseta vs RadioRA: I like many RA2 features, and let's put price aside, it seems to be abandoned from a third-party integration perspective (Alexa, HomeKit?)

14. Likes Zach R. liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast