Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leviton Announces HomeKit Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    In defense of Lutron (Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago), that is a large list. We are talking about a privately held company that invented the dimmer. Their corporate philosophy is to create the best product in a category that has less than ideal offerings. Why invent a different mouse trap? Only do it if you can build the best. This is why they haven't done things like home audio. Making all of these devices above would take them from their core competency. Let someone else who is good at those things build those things. They just haven't seen the value of just letting the dimmer people make the dimmers.

As far as the "artificial" limits on Caseta- the things you are asking for are well beyond 99.999% of a DIY user where Caseta is marketed. Complaining about this is moot, if you require greater integration and more tools, then you are a far more advanced user than Caseta. When was the last time a full time auto mechanic purchased is daily use tools from Harbor Freight? He goes and buys the top-notch tools from a specialty manufacturer. Sounds like you need a better hammer than Caseta can provide.
    Everything on my list is related to the lighting category that Lutron has now entered. And just about everything on my list they already make! Why do they not make those pieces for Caseta except to purposely cripple the system ?

As you said "create the best product in a category that has less than ideal offerings" "Making all of these devices above would take them from their core competency. Let someone else who is good at those things build those things. They just haven't seen the value of just letting the dimmer people make the dimmers." then why did they immediately add Serena motorized shades to the system of all things? That's the last thing I would have expected, but I'm glad they did because I installed them on every window in my house.

"As far as the "artificial" limits on Caseta- the things you are asking for are well beyond 99.999% of a DIY user where Caseta is marketed." What's so difficult about adding a light sensor, or motion sensor similar to the Pico's that you can stick on the wall? And if you think it's too difficult, just don't add them to your system, they're not required if you just want a basic lighting system.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I posted about Leviton entering this space for several reasons:
    #1 To let people here know that the other huge lighting company has joined the fray
    #2 Some people here are asking for a toggle type switch
    #3 Maybe now that Lutron has some competition from it's largest competitor they will add more pieces to Caseta, such as those on my list

Quote Originally Posted by ekimla View Post
    Just want to add:
    1). Who cares if it works with HomeKit if the signal does not make it to the HomeKit hardware. That is the value of Lutron's Clear Connect RF
    2). Why do you want dimmers and switches to talk to each other as a needed feature? Presumably to bounce the signal longer range? A Caseta table lamp dimmer apparently can now optionally repeat the signal. Max 1 device per system. There... system range is now enhanced.
    3). I could not agree more with SanDiegoRep. I think AJF4ME is looking for RadioRA2 features. Perhaps his issue is pricing points?
    4). I agree that having the option to migrate or upgrade to higher end systems like RadioRA2 is a needed feature and Lutron is the only company in the business that is positioned to be able to offer this scalability. Here's to hoping Lutron makes this possible.
    Pricing is not an issue for me, it's being able to have a more sophisticated DIY system. Don't get me wrong, one of the main reason I went with Lutron because of their Clear Connect technology. As I've said on other threads, I believe they are the best system that you can buy. I don't want to have to add the things on my list from other companies, I want them to be offered by Lutron.

I know WiFi has it's problems, but just about every other system in our homes uses it so good luck adding to any system without it. Right now I have a Schlage Sense locks at home and my office, MyQ garage door opener, Ecobee thermostats, Ring doorbells, Nest cameras, SimpliSafe alarm system at my office, a large Sonos music system, a Sense electrical usage monitor, Xfinity home alarm system, Xbox gaming system, several Roku boxes and an Apple TV, plus the HomeKit system. I believe those all use WiFi but I honestly have not had any problems, and as I mentioned we just moved to a townhouse community with WiFi everywhere.

If you're averse to using WiFi, you should also consider the fact that Lutron has allowed the following WiFi hardware into their system : Amazon's Alexa, SmatThings, Nest Camera, Thermostats, and smoke detectors, Ecobee thermostats, and Apple's HomeKit. Apparently Lutron isn't afraid of WiFi . And if you're thinking that they don't care if those add on's have problems since they don't manufacture them, any problems that may arise from any hardware involved with Caseta will reflect very badly on Lutron since it is part of their system now.

Quote Originally Posted by smart_home_guy View Post
    Caseta vs RadioRA: I like many RA2 features, and let's put price aside, it seems to be abandoned from a third-party integration perspective (Alexa, HomeKit?)
    Alexa can now be used with a Connect Bridge and software/firmware 10.6. Homekit is another story, it's not Lutron's limitations on this front.

AJF4ME- The reason shades are a part of the equation- Lutron does them better than anyone else (67% of automated market) AND lighting control is not complete until you control the non-powered light sources as well- windows. True complete lighting control requires control of the windows.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

4. Likes Zach R. liked this post

AJF4ME- The reason shades are a part of the equation- Lutron does them better than anyone else (67% of automated market) AND lighting control is not complete until you control the non-powered light sources as well- windows. True complete lighting control requires control of the windows.
    They had to replace 2 of my shades 4 times and 1 shade twice because they were either stopping for no reason or making some terrible noises. The tech guys were great in dealing with the problems, which is extremely important to me, but it was still a big PITA for me to remove, replace, and return the defective shades, especially having spent over $5k for them. I had some very expensive Somy and Hunter Douglas shades at our previous house which were much higher quality, but then that's what they do, make shades. These Serena's are much less expensive, relatively speaking, but then again, considering your statement about them having 67% of the market, they should have it down pat by now.

And since you're including the shades under lighting control, all of the things I have on my "Needed" list fall squarely under lighting control.

Again I don't want to be argumentative, and I don't want to keep beating this into the ground, I just felt that the Leviton development was worth mentioning here because it's interesting and relevant to HA lighting control. I'm hoping Lutron will add more to Caseta/Serena this year.

6. Likes Zach R., SDR-Mike, HomeKit liked this post
    Alexa can now be used with a Connect Bridge and software/firmware 10.6. Homekit is another story, it's not Lutron's limitations on this front.
    FYI, HomeKit support for Connect Bridge has been announced today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lutron...083000945.html

8. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes SDR-Mike, dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Lutron is using the Caseta platform to test the Bridge interconnectivity (with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Sonos and others) before releasing it to higher end systems. That is where Caseta users are lucky. Since Homeworks QS, Grafik, and Radio RA2 are mostly dealer installed products, Lutron would get backlash from the dealers if the interconnectivity did not work smoothly.

10. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post

Lutron is using the Caseta platform to test the Bridge interconnectivity (with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Sonos and others) before releasing it to higher end systems. That is where Caseta users are lucky. Since Homeworks QS, Grafik, and Radio RA2 are mostly dealer installed products, Lutron would get backlash from the dealers if the interconnectivity did not work smoothly.
    Thats well said! Wow I am pleased to hear this news! Thank goodness, its finally here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF4ME View Post
    Again I don't want to be argumentative, and I don't want to keep beating this into the ground, I just felt that the Leviton development was worth mentioning here because it's interesting and relevant to HA lighting control. I'm hoping Lutron will add more to Caseta/Serena this year.
    I realize that I may have come across as a bit combative here as well. I apologize if that is the case. It is nice to see someone well learned and well meaning contribute honest feedback. I understand and feel the same frustrations as you, and had to answer those questions when I was the rep in my territory. They do watch and read these forums closely, so they are taking your feedback seriously. Whether that translates to "useful results" for your applications remains to be seen, but I hope they can check off some more of your boxes soon.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

13. Likes Zach R. liked this post
    I realize that I may have come across as a bit combative here as well. I apologize if that is the case. It is nice to see someone well learned and well meaning contribute honest feedback. I understand and feel the same frustrations as you, and had to answer those questions when I was the rep in my territory. They do watch and read these forums closely, so they are taking your feedback seriously. Whether that translates to "useful results" for your applications remains to be seen, but I hope they can check off some more of your boxes soon.
    Oh no problem at all. I'm just getting a little impatient with the state of progress not just with Lutron but also with Apple's HomeKit .

15. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lutron...083000945.html
    Wow! That's great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast