Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Twist on programing an exhaust fan!!!

Unhappy Twist on programing an exhaust fan!!!

Hi all

I have an exhaust fan home run to an rpm4u module. Initially it was to be controlled by a keypad in the bathroom which eventually got eliminated. There are three smart switches controlling local lights in the bathroom. Is there a way I can program the fan to go on through the status of one of the smart switches. For example switch A is turned on and the fan, (I imagine through a variable), goes on, and goes off when the switch turns the light off.

I am sure this isn't the first time this has come up, can someone point me to a similar issue somewhere else in the forum? This would be my first variable

Thanks for your help!

2. Likes Blair S. liked this post
    Yes you can just program that to work via the program tab on the switch you want the fan to go on and off with Here is the trick go to the program tab use the drop down menu on left for the device at the very bottom there is a little box you need to check "show all dimmers" check that off then your local switched will show up in the menu. You then navigate to any of those devices in bath you want to add the fan load too. you can also add off delay on the fan so it stays on a little longer

Wink Would like to add one more twist.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Yes you can just program that to work via the program tab on the switch you want the fan to go on and off with Here is the trick go to the program tab use the drop down menu on left for the device at the very bottom there is a little box you need to check "show all dimmers" check that off then your local switched will show up in the menu. You then navigate to any of those devices in bath you want to add the fan load too. you can also add off delay on the fan so it stays on a little longer
    Perfect that worked but it was a little hard to find the show all dimmers. The fan is noisy, and might disturb the sleep of the kids. How do I create a conditional that allows the fan to work only between 6 am and 10 pm?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by vacuatus View Post
    Perfect that worked but it was a little hard to find the show all dimmers. The fan is noisy, and might disturb the sleep of the kids. How do I create a conditional that allows the fan to work only between 6 am and 10 pm?

Thanks again

Thats a little tougher You can not apply logic to a Dimmer or a Switch. I see you say the Fan is on an RPM in a previous post. I thought about this for a few minutes on how to accomplish using simple programing. I couldn't come up with a scenario based on Time using just programing triggered from a local control. Maybe someone has a better idea then what I have. I was thinking along this line.

1 Create a dummy load called Fan Timer Load
    2 Assign that Fan Timer Load to another RPM 4R
    3 Make a Time Clock in programing that works Fan Timer Load 6am-10PM
    4 Wire the actual fan in series through the new 4R another words load out of original Fan 4R goes through the contacts of the new Fan Timer Load 4R

This will make it so the fan can only come on when the 2nd 4R zone is Closed which closes via Time Clock
    This is like jumping through hoops for sure. It doesn't have to go through a 4R zone it could also go through any relay closure that was integrated like CCO board that would close and operate a relay rated at the 120v

For a few hundred bucks you could just change the local dimmer to a hybrid keypad and do conditional on a keypad button also

Hope this helps

6. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S., randyc liked this post
    I really wanted to find a flaw in this but I can't! The only thing I would add is, if you don't have an available 4R output for the CC feature, you could use an 8ANS.

mcignarella is a genius!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com