Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring problem lights only turn on through Lutron switch

Wiring problem lights only turn on through Lutron switch

I'm trying to install Lutron caseta in a spot that has 4 switches. I'm pretty sure I know my problem is that I am using a dimmer and I should be using a switch. I just want someone to confirm if they can.

The first switch is my outside light, and theres a total of (3) black wires. (2) that go in the old switch, and (1) black wire on a side terminal (i think this puts power to the rest of the other switches).

I tried connecting these wires to the Lutron Caseta wireless dimmer every possible combination, however it would either not turn on the Caseta switch, or i would have to turn on the caseta dimmer to turn on the other lights on. And the outside porch light would just constantly flash.

Do I need to use just a Luton switch in this situation and not a dimmer?

Thanks for your help, I've attached a picture of the switch basically I am going to be switching the First switch and the last switch to Lutron castea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170108_112342.jpg  

If there are three wires to the switch (in addition to the ground), then there is a second switch somewhere. You need to remove the second switch, re-wire the location and install a Pico in place of the switch to control the dimmer. Take a look at the Advanced Install Guide for how to do that. https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...structions.pdf

Hi there is no second switch to control this light. This is pretty much what the existing switch installed looks like: There was 2 black wire's in the push-in connections on the back. Then there was one black wire on one of the side terminals. This is somehow powering the other switches because if I just cap this third wire I do not get any power over to the other switches.

By the black wire on the side terminal, which you say is somehow powering the other switches, is that where a wire is in the push connector? If so, once you remove the old switch, those 2 wires have to be connected together, with one of the Caseta dimmer wires. BTW, the switch you are showing in the picture is a 3-way switch. Were wires wires connected to all three of the push connectors or screw terminals. Can you post a pic of the back of the switch you are trying to replace? And maybe pull the rest of the switches out of the box (but don't disconnect any of them), and take a pic?

5. Likes justin1236 liked this post
    The 2 wires that are pushed in have to be connected? or the 1 wire that is on the side terminal need to be connected?

The 2 wires close together, one push connector, and the other screwed to the side screw connector, should be connected together. In the old switch, the push conn. and the screw are connected internally. The pic is for reference only. Notice how the push conn. and the screw are close together. This is what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by justin1236 View Post
    The 2 wires that are pushed in have to be connected? or the 1 wire that is on the side terminal need to be connected?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 11.45.36 AM.png   Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 11.47.59 AM.png  

Ahh, yes i tried this it ended up where the Lutron caseta dimmer was controlling all the other switches. When i turned on the lutron it would turn on all the 4 switches, if i turned it off it would turn off all 4 switches.

OK, then those 2 wires have to be connected together, and connected to one wire of the Caseta dimmer. The other wire of the dimmer would be connected to the last wire, which presumably goes to the light. BTW, which Caseta dimmer are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by justin1236 View Post
    Ahh, yes i tried this it ended up where the Lutron caseta dimmer was controlling all the other switches. When i turned on the lutron it would turn on all the 4 switches, if i turned it off it would turn off all 4 switches.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta...=lutron+caseta

I honestly tried to connect the wires almost every different possible way and would either end up in the Caseta dimmer not turning on, or controlling all 4 switches.

So your dimmer has 2 black wires coming out, and also the green ground wire which is attached to the metal portion of the dimmer, right? In any case, the 2 wires I mentioned, and 1 leg of the Caseta dimmer have to be connected together. Irregardless of the other wire connected or not, if you connect the 2 wires in the box together, do the other switches work constantly? If so, this connection is correct. Pics would be helpful.

I will be away for a a couple of hours.

12. Likes Sawdust liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast