Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring problem lights only turn on through Lutron switch

There's a lot to be said for calling in a licensed electrician. Especially when dealing with older houses that may have had "help" over the years. And by "help" I don't mean code-compliant wiring. Lots things get installed in ways that don't follow code or don't even work properly. A decent electrician is going to have some experience with this sort of thing and figure it out, quickly and solve it safely.

Do you know for certain how many circuits are feeding this box? Is it just one? As in, you power off the fuses/breakers and determine that just ONE is feeding the box. That's important, you DO NOT want to mix circuits, which is a mistaken often made.

Then find the hot that feeds the box. Use that to power each switch. Lots of times someone that doesn't know what they're doing will do something like push the black into one switch and then use the screw terminal on that switch to power others. It's better to attach pigtails to the hot and feed each switch individually. The white neutral wires can likewise be pigtailed to any switch that needs it. But for regular non-automated switches it's common to take the neutral from the breaker and tie it to each load in a single large wire nut. It's just the hot you need to contend with for non-automated switching (this is commonly black wire, but could be anything).

Start by creating a drawing of the wiring for what's being controlled through that box (ALL OF IF).

I'm guessing you're going to discover some shenanigans with how someone else did that wiring in the past. SOLVE THAT. Don't just bang your head against what's unknown. Figure it out, or call in an actual electrician.

Thanks for your help, i honestly ended up having an electrician come out to my house and fixed my problem for $45.00. One of my problems was the light bulb would steady flash, I found out the bulb wasn't supported with the Lutron Caseta so I swapped it with a dimmable LED and the flicker went away. Besides that I don't think he did anything different then instead of using wire nuts he used these wago lever nuts. He didn't really explain if he did anything different but it was a 20 minute install for this guy.

If i just swapped the bulb to begin with I think I would have been able to solve my own problem, but since i saw the flickering bulb I thought there was a major problem besides the bulb just not being compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by justin1236 View Post
    Thanks for your help, i honestly ended up having an electrician come out to my house and fixed my problem for $45.00.
    Yep, they're not always as expensive as you might think. Glad to hear it's good now.

I'm happy to hear you got it solved, and without a great expense!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12