Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New app update. January 5 2017

New app update. January 5 2017

Nest cam home and away. And now a lamp dimmer can be used as a range extender. Wow.

Do you have a link to the lamp dimmer as a range extender????

That's really cool!

Can't upload a pic from my phone. Just download the new ios update. Out now.

The range extender is meaningful functionality to make it more of a whole-home solution. The implementation however is super clunky. The most recently added lamp dimmer functions as the range extender. So if you want to choose the specific location of your range extender, you'll have to remove it and re-add it after you add any other new lamp dimmers.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    I agree that there is room for improvement and will be sure to pass along this feedback to our development team! Just to clarify:

-It's not necessarily the most recently added dimmer...ex: if you were setting up a new system and purchased 3 lamp dimmers, the FIRST one you added would be designated as the range extender.

-If you no longer want to use that device as the range extender, you would to:
    1. Delete that dimmer from the app
    2. The next plug in dimmer that you add will act as a range extender...if said plug in was also already in your system, you will need to delete that device as well (before being able to re-add)

-The other option would be to physically move the plug in dimmer(s) and rename the device(s)

6. Thanks SDR-Mike, atma28 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach R. View Post
    I agree that there is room for improvement and will be sure to pass along this feedback to our development team! Just to clarify:

-It's not necessarily the most recently added dimmer...ex: if you were setting up a new system and purchased 3 lamp dimmers, the FIRST one you added would be designated as the range extender.
    Thanks Zack.

This is actually much better, because I would just set up my system intentionally with the first lamp dimmer as the range extender, and avoid moving it later. I was under the mistaken impression that every time a new lamp dimmer is added, it becomes the range extender.