Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4 Series Processor dead?

4 Series Processor dead?

I woke up New Year's morning with all my keypads blinking top to bottom signaling loss of communication with the processor. I looked in the panel and the processor appears to be dead, even though the power supply is delivering a little over 12V AC to the board.

Given that it it New Years and I doubt I'll get anyone here for two days, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do fix this or diagnose the problem? I haven't taken the cover off the processor because I'm not sure how to do it.

The system is 10 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0244.JPG  

I assume you've checked both power supplies, the two stake on on the left and the plug on the right which I think powers keypads but it's been a long time so I really don't recall. If you haven't rebooted do it. There a white reset on the right you can try and if none of that works you cam try powering off the processor and I thinks flip dip switch 1 which is just left of the plug in power jack. Re apply power and see what happens. If it works you cam then turn off and flip the switch back and turn back on. If I recalls that will load a back up program in case your running programming got corrupt. Warning this is all from memory and your picture and it's been a long time since I've needed to do this.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Thanks for the ideas, Vining. I've tried rebooting, resetting via the white switch, and flipping the dip switch, but the board appears to not have power (even though I measure 12Vac coming in from the power supply. I fear that the processor itself is dead and know that will mean an expensive upgrade to QS, but was hoping for some magic :)

Lutron might replace the processor for a nominal fee. Others here might have a new unused series 4 laying around they'd sell, better than replacing your entire system to QS, all dimmers and keypads. I have a series 8 w/ H48 that I'd sell if you can't find a 4. Do you have the program file?
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Thanks. I do have the program. Looks like another night in the dark since today is observed NY day. Hopefully my Lutron guy will return my call today morrow and I can sort out my options.

As vining mentioned, you checked both power inputs, correct? I can't fully tell from the picture you took... but assuming the LEDs are off completely, then I would focus on the spade power inputs as they provide the power to the processor itself. The other power supply provides power to just the keypads/other devices on the wired links.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I checked both power supplies. The Supply for the keypads showed 15 V and the processor power supply 12V. Since all the keypads have power, my suspicion was the processor power supply. However, since I know that is working properly, it must be something else. All the LED's are out on the panel.

Yea, at this point I believe your suspicion is correct... something on the processor board itself. It's one thing when LED's are flashing erratically... but another one there's no illumination whatsoever.

Sorry we couldn't help much on this one. On the bright side, at least you have a copy of the program itself... so hopefully it's just a matter of getting new equipment vs. a lot of re-do programming! Best of luck.

Thanks for the ideas. As it turns out, my installer, Play And Gourmet, found a way to get a QS system cobbled together and are installing at this moment. Just in time as my wife is off to the airport to pick up our house guests for the next week! Wasn't cheap, but we have a little more capability now.

I'm delighted that they could do that in 24 hours.

i know this thread is old, and I don't know if there is any relevance to my situation in 2022 with a home automation system installed in 2011 except for Christmas in 9 days... so my problem: All switches dead for lights and shades. Lights work from my control4 app on my phone BUT not the shades. I have a Homeworks 4 Series TM processor. Can any one suggest something please?