Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you tell what load type a 6NA is using in Auto mode?

How do you tell what load type a 6NA is using in Auto mode?

Is there a way to tell which load type a 6NA is using when it's been programmed for automatic? Using Inclusive, not manual APM.

I ask because I've got one controlling a Tech Lighting monorail and periodically the light goes out. Not always, not repeatable and not appearing to be due to any other factors. It could be the transformer for the rail, of course, or the dimmer. Neither of which are simple to swap. The 6NA shows no signs of problems when this happens. The LEDs on it appear no different than normal. I've yet to climb up on a ladder to debug whether there's line voltage to the transformer or not.

So while it's probably the transformer I'm still curious to know how to determine the load type phase.

In the RA 2 software, go to the dimmer you want to set. Right-click on the picture of the dimmer, and chose advanced settings. You can set it there, to forward, reverse or auto. Auto is the default.
    Phil Scheetz
    Lighting Control Solutions
    pscheetz@lightingcontrolsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by pscheetz View Post
    In the RA 2 software, go to the dimmer you want to set. Right-click on the picture of the dimmer, and chose advanced settings. You can set it there, to forward, reverse or auto. Auto is the default.
    Yes, that's how you set it. But that's not what I asked.

I asked how to tell which mode the dimmer has chosen when it's using the default Auto setting.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Yes, that's how you set it. But that's not what I asked.

I asked how to tell which mode the dimmer has chosen when it's using the default Auto setting.
    I don't believe there is a way to extract that info. I do know it starts as ELV/Reverse/Trailing and "reads" the neutral to determine the best direction from there. Therein lies the problem on some MLV/Forward/Leading transformers, they can "confuse" the phase adaptive circuitry resulting in what I call the three LEDs of death- the dreaded "locked up" 6NA. I know Sebco drivers are notorious for causing this problem.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I agree. Set to Auto it starts up as reverse, then looks for the inductive ringback that an MLV transformer or Inc/Halogen bulb exhibits. If it sees that, it switches to forward-phase.

I don't know that you can see how it is operating, which is why the software let's you force it one way or the other.

It is particularly problematic if you have mixed MLV and ELV on the same switch leg, although that doesn't sound like his issue.
    Phil Scheetz
    Lighting Control Solutions
    pscheetz@lightingcontrolsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by pscheetz View Post
    It is particularly problematic if you have mixed MLV and ELV on the same switch leg, although that doesn't sound like his issue.
    Mixed ELV and MLV should NEVER be dimmed together on a single dimmer, because of the different dimming curves. I'd imagine a PWM or 0-10V would solve that problem, but on any Lutron dimmer- these two loads should never dim on the same device. If that is the case on a switch leg, then your one option is to switch it to protect the device/dimmer and the fixtures.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

In this situation it's just one transformer for a string of four 12v halogen spots. I don't have the spec sheet (or part number) handy for the transformer.

It'd been working fine for the past year and only now suddenly just goes off. The 6NA still shows LED status as on, and pull the FASS out and turning it back on does nothing. I've yet to climb a ladder to pull the transformer, which is complicated by the rail and the $300/each set of glass globes on them. That and it's in a row of box with three devices, so faceplate screw hell... Sooooo far down my want-to-do list...

Just figured it'd be worth tossing out the question regarding determining phase to see if that could potentially have anything to do with the problem, or might have contributed to the early demise of the transformer.