Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the difference hybrid and wall-mount keypad

Anna W.

What is the difference hybrid and wall-mount keypad

We received this question from a customer, and thought others might be interested in this topic...

When would I choose a RRD-H3BSRL or a RRD-W3BSRL in my project?

Authorized Lutron Contributor

RE: What is the difference hybrid and wall-mount keypad

The Hybrid keypad has the ability to control a load. A wall mounted keypad does not have the ability to control a load and will get wired with just a hot and a neutral.

Hybrid wall-mounted keypad

Quote Originally Posted by Vic F. View Post
    The Hybrid keypad has the ability to control a load. A wall mounted keypad does not have the ability to control a load and will get wired with just a hot and a neutral.
    However, isn't it true that hybrid keypad will not work with LED loads? I have Cree CR6 LEDs and not sure if I should risk buying hybrid keypad? What are my options if I need to have hybrid keypad with my LED load?

Thank you,
    Leo

I have 4 cree led's on a six button hybrid and they work fine.

Normally the Hybird is incandescent or mlv. I have actually made the mistake in a qs job of installing one where i had a cfl load and only wanted it to switch on and off even after setting load type as Non Dimmed in software it didn't work. I would like to see one day where they offer 2 models 1 for dimming and one for switching.

I assume there's a CL or NA hybrid in the product roadmap, not that I've heard anything. It just makes sense.

7. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    im using a hybrid to control only 1 cree LED and it works fine

Quote Originally Posted by Trax95008 View Post
    im using a hybrid to control only 1 cree LED and it works fine
    I've tested different LED types, both retrofit bulbs and LED fixtures, with generally acceptable results. Low end dimming and minimum loads are the Gotchas with the hybrid, from what I've learned so far- test it before you sell it.
    Schalliol, I also think that it is very important Lutron re-engineer the hybrid to support neutral dimming with LED loads. The hybrid is a great tool for both retrofit jobs or just controlling costs. Not supporting LED dimming with a hybrid keypad means one less solution in our toolbox.

I don't know the cost to Lutron difference, but it would seem that making all of them support neutral dimming would be offset a bit by the value of SKU reduction.