Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat

Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat

Can anyone verify that the new Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat works with Caseta? The only documentation on the Lutron website says the the system will work with the 'current' Lyric round thermostat and is not compatible with the first generation of Lyric Wi-Fi thermostats.

In Massachusetts, National Grid is offering (via the Mass Save program) a $100 rebate on Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats through the end of December. But I don't want to get the T5 if it does not work with the Caseta. $49 (after rebate) for a Wi-Fi thermostat is pretty sweet!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Otharcharr View Post
    Can anyone verify that the new Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat works with Caseta? The only documentation on the Lutron website says the the system will work with the 'current' Lyric round thermostat and is not compatible with the first generation of Lyric Wi-Fi thermostats.

In Massachusetts, National Grid is offering (via the Mass Save program) a $100 rebate on Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats through the end of December. But I don't want to get the T5 if it does not work with the Caseta. $49 (after rebate) for a Wi-Fi thermostat is pretty sweet!
    It would be compatible via HomeKit only...sorry Android users! Once the thermostat is added to your HomeKit home, it will automatically show up in the Caseta app.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach R. View Post
    It would be compatible via HomeKit only...sorry Android users! Once the thermostat is added to your HomeKit home, it will automatically show up in the Caseta app.

I understand no Android, but are you also saying no native Lutron support like the Lyric Round thermostat?

Sorry, there reason I'm really questioning it is that I don't have a 3rd or 4th generation Apple TV to serve as a gateway to control my Lutron system, so I can't use HomeKit only apps while I'm outside the house. The Lutron App writes/talks to HomeKit as well as Lutron's serves, so when I'm away, I still have control.

Integration was actually done the same way with the Lyric Round thermostat (via HomeKit). Both of these thermostats will pull directly into the Caseta app, but they will be still be unresponsive if you are away from home (unless you configure an Apple TV or iPad as a HomeKit hub).

Well that stinks!

I was always under the impression that anything you can control in the Lutron app was available when not at home even if you did not have an Apple TV as a gateway. In this case, I thought the Lutron app talked to the Lutron server (which is what it normally does), and then the Lutron servers would talk to the Honeywell servers (with your account with them), and the Honeywell server would then talk directly to the thermostat passing directly through your internet gateway, just like the Lutron Smart Bridge.

This is how the Amazon Echo works, and while you would never take your Dot or Echo to another location and use voice commands to control your house, you could do it by simply putting the Dot or Echo on a different wireless AP, because the they are tied to your Amazon account and not the AP.

When I go into Add Device in the Luton app and select Honeywell it asks for account info for Honeywell (of which I don't have any as I don't own a device), which is why I'm questioning this so much.

That is actually how we integrate with most Honeywell Thermostats. For server to server communication, the thermostat needs to register with Honeywell's My Total Connect Comfort server. With these thermostats, you do not need to have an Apple TV or be on the local Wi-Fi in order to have control.

The Lyric thermostats mentioned above to not communicate with the My Total Connect Comfort Server so our only choice is to integrate via HomeKit.