Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dead dimmers

Dead dimmers

I have a Radio RA2 system which operates in 2 rooms of my house. The repeater is near the ceiling of my kitchen and below my bathroom above. This system has been in place about 4 years without any issues.

Current bathroom configuration: Hybrid 4 button keypad (RRD-H4S) controls one light circuit with 3 additional dimmers (RRD-6NA) controlling 3 other lighting circuits.

Current condition:
    1. Hybrid controls its own light circuit but has lost the ability to control the other 3 dimmers.
    2. None of the LED’s on the RRD-6NA’s light under any circumstances.
    3. One of the lights controlled by an RRD-6NA is on at a low level and does not change except when I turn off the circuit breaker.
    4. None of the RRD-6NA seem to have any control over the lights
    5. None of the RRD-6NA appear to accept a reset.

Possibly related:
    A Lutron 15 amp tamper resistant GFCI is powered by the same electrical circuit and is in the same 4 gang box as the 3 RRD-6NA dimmers, but does not protect the dimmers. Pushing the test button on the GFCI does not seem to trip the interrupter, and the reset button behaves strangely. I have already replaced it.

I have ordered a new RRD-6NA.
    I have a whole house surge protector, for whatever that is worth. Is it possible that a surge or static charge damaged the dimmers? The numerous other dimmers (6) and hybrids (3) in my kitchen work fine, with the exception of the problem that one or two of the dimmers will sometimes when turned off after a few second delay come back on bright.

Any idea what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by taylor24348 View Post
    I have a Radio RA2 system which operates in 2 rooms of my house. The repeater is near the ceiling of my kitchen and below my bathroom above. This system has been in place about 4 years without any issues.

Current bathroom configuration: Hybrid 4 button keypad (RRD-H4S) controls one light circuit with 3 additional dimmers (RRD-6NA) controlling 3 other lighting circuits.

Current condition:
    1. Hybrid controls its own light circuit but has lost the ability to control the other 3 dimmers.
    2. None of the LED’s on the RRD-6NA’s light under any circumstances.
    3. One of the lights controlled by an RRD-6NA is on at a low level and does not change except when I turn off the circuit breaker.
    4. None of the RRD-6NA seem to have any control over the lights
    5. None of the RRD-6NA appear to accept a reset.

Possibly related:
    A Lutron 15 amp tamper resistant GFCI is powered by the same electrical circuit and is in the same 4 gang box as the 3 RRD-6NA dimmers, but does not protect the dimmers. Pushing the test button on the GFCI does not seem to trip the interrupter, and the reset button behaves strangely. I have already replaced it.

I have ordered a new RRD-6NA.
    I have a whole house surge protector, for whatever that is worth. Is it possible that a surge or static charge damaged the dimmers? The numerous other dimmers (6) and hybrids (3) in my kitchen work fine, with the exception of the problem that one or two of the dimmers will sometimes when turned off after a few second delay come back on bright.

Any idea what to do?
    I would suggest hiring an electrician to determine the problem- my first guess is there is a fixture or wiring fault. I agree that it sounds strange after 4 years of working a-okay, but there are enough electrical problems detailed here (gfci faulty, possibly damaged dimmer) that I think each circuit should be verified by a pro.

My experience to date is that dead dimmers are due to either someone working on a fixture while live and shorting the dimmer, or a surge that comes into the dimmer from an outside landscape light.

You can certainly swap out the 6NA with a new one, but I'd be concerned you might end up with 2 damaged 6NAs without further troubleshooting the circuits involved.

Red face

When the dimmers were pulled out of the electrical box a wire nut was blackened and melted. A wire nut joining neutrals was missing. With the toasted wire nut replaced and the missing wire nut installed all worked as before including the GFCI. I could have done that myself as an experienced amateur, but I didn't want to chance blowing the dimmers.
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor24348 View Post
    When the dimmers were pulled out of the electrical box a wire nut was blackened and melted. A wire nut joining neutrals was missing. With the toasted wire nut replaced and the missing wire nut installed all worked as before including the GFCI. I could have done that myself as an experienced amateur, but I didn't want to chance blowing the dimmers.
    Thanks for the information.
    Glad it was simple!