Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Join two dimmers together

Unfortunately, I don't see this every becoming a feature as you are probably the only person who wants 2 switches to act as one, with nothing else to do.

As mentioned, all you have to do is get 2 pico's and 2 wall mounts. Swap your single plate cover for a dual and attach the pico's beside your dimmer. Now to turn on both lights, just use the pico.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't see this every becoming a feature as you are probably the only person who wants 2 switches to act as one, with nothing else to do.

As mentioned, all you have to do is get 2 pico's and 2 wall mounts. Swap your single plate cover for a dual and attach the pico's beside your dimmer. Now to turn on both lights, just use the pico.
    I'm not sure what new this is contributing other than trying to put down my request, but thanks?

I'd be changing a 4-gang and 5-gang to a 5-gang and 7-gang, but yes, at this point I thoroughly understand that the problem can currently be "solved" by adding a lot more Picos and pretending my $100+ ELV+ dimmers don't exist. Which again I'd point out is pretty strange.

I don't believe I'm alone in this. I've since discovered old threads from others requesting the same. And I believe as more people begin to adopt systems like this, others would appreciate similar functionality. This is one of the values in having wireless programmable switches—being able to program them to perform actions upon being switched!

Totally agree that it would be really useful if there was a "faceless" Caseta dimmer to which any Pico could be attached. This would open up a huge world of customization options.

I for instance would have some rooms with only a 4-button scene Pico visible, rather than having individual dinners AND a pico next to them. We should be working towards less buttons not more

Definitely, if we don't get software control over dimmers it seems it'd be more useful to just have faceless dimmers at this point.

The less programmable, more direct software solution to what I'm asking for would be for dimmers to be "grouped" or "joined" in the same way iOS Home allows.

But more similar to what you're asking for, it could be that Caseta dimmers appear as programmable in the exact same way as a Pico — with the addition that they'll always directly control the lights they're attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post
    I'm not sure what new this is contributing other than trying to put down my request, but thanks?

I'd be changing a 4-gang and 5-gang to a 5-gang and 7-gang, but yes, at this point I thoroughly understand that the problem can currently be "solved" by adding a lot more Picos and pretending my $100+ ELV+ dimmers don't exist. Which again I'd point out is pretty strange.

I don't believe I'm alone in this. I've since discovered old threads from others requesting the same. And I believe as more people begin to adopt systems like this, others would appreciate similar functionality. This is one of the values in having wireless programmable switches—being able to program them to perform actions upon being switched!
    I am currently replacing Cooper Aspire Devices in my home with Caseta ones. The one issue I have is the lack of Coopers 'associate' option in the Lutron app. In my system I have a switch at my back door for the outside lights and a shed with a fixture on it controlled by a switch in the shed on another circuit. In the Aspire software I have associated these two switches so that turning either one on also turns on the other. Rewiring was not an option! I hope Lutron considers adding this functionality in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Upcharro View Post
    I am currently replacing Cooper Aspire Devices in my home with Caseta ones. The one issue I have is the lack of Coopers 'associate' option in the Lutron app. In my system I have a switch at my back door for the outside lights and a shed with a fixture on it controlled by a switch in the shed on another circuit. In the Aspire software I have associated these two switches so that turning either one on also turns on the other. Rewiring was not an option! I hope Lutron considers adding this functionality in the future.
    I bet you could do this with the SmartThings integration. I do it today with Caseta by integrating with HomeSeer. In my case, I have my shower fan switch paired to my shower lights. If any of the shower lights are turned on, the fan automatically turns on. Turning off the lights starts a 20 minute timer on the fan.

Thanks....smart things is next!

Yeah, I'm hoping Smartthings does everything I can currently do with the "unofficial" integration I have with HomeSeer, but probably not. I doubt SmartThings will have support for multiple hubs.

Agree, would like this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post

I agree I would love to do this too. We had a front porch light and I added two more lights to the front of the garage. Running wiring from the garage to the front entry would have been a lot of cutting/digging etc. I would love to have the two dimmers linked so they both operate both sets of lights.

I have the same situation in the backyard, one switch for lights on the back of the house and another for the lights on the back of the garage.

I understand that the Pico's can do this but adding a second switch in all these locations just makes the system confusing for users in my family.

Would be a great feature. Just moved in to a place that has a separate single pot light by the fireplace in a room with 5 other pot lights. The previous owner must have had some art or something as that pot light was angled towards the mantle. We don't so we want all of them controlled by the same dimmer - rewiring is a bit of a pain behind the finished ceiling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast