Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Join two dimmers together

Join two dimmers together

I have two lights at the back of my house, controlled by two separate Caseta dimmers. I'd really like the two dimmers to be joined. If I turn one on, the other should turn on. If I dim one, the other should dim to the same level.

Am I missing something, or is there nothing like this functionality currently?

I know could get a Pico and set up a Scene, but what I'd really like is to just use the existing Caseta dimmers.

You would have to use a Pico.

Wow, ok. Well, consider this a request for that functionality then. Really thought I'd be able to avoid some difficult wiring with dimmers like this.

There is nothing to rewire. You mentioned that you already have the lights controlled by two separate Caseta dimmers. All you have to do is pair the Pico to your existing, previously installed Caseta dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post
    Really thought I'd be able to avoid some difficult wiring with dimmers like this.
    - - - Updated - - -

There is nothing to rewire. You mentioned that you already have the lights controlled by two separate Caseta dimmers. All you have to do is pair the Pico to your existing, previously installed Caseta dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post
    Really thought I'd be able to avoid some difficult wiring with dimmers like this.

What I meant by that is I thought I'd be able to have the two in-wall dimmer locations always control both lights without additional wiring. They are already in the location I want to use for controlling the lights.

So that means if I want to do this with a Pico, I *also* have to install two Picos, which is pretty ridiculous. At that point the Caseta dimmers might as well be completely hidden and just Picos installed user-facing.

Oh, sorry! Now I understand your question / comment.

The right way would be to rewire. Alternatively if there is space in your box you could push the caseta dimmers inside the wall box, program 2 picos to control both of the casetas and then install the picos into the wall plate.

The ELV+ dimmer looks almost identical to a Pico and yet is much more limited in functionality. How strange.

Software limitations have basically made it such that it'd be more useful to me if the ELV+ dimmer just had a Pico mount in front instead of controls that look identical to a Pico.

Another option, without re-wiring, is HomeKit - you can do some of what you are asking with HomeKit triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Another option, without re-wiring, is HomeKit - you can do some of what you are asking with HomeKit triggers.
    What's amusing is for however limited HomeKit is currently, it's really easy to "Group" two dimmers and have them appear as one. I've done that for Siri / HomeKit already.

For the physical control side, that's a good idea. I'll see how far I can get with Automations / Triggers to get some of it working. I just want it to feel like the two dimmers are controlling one set of lights for guests who walk up and press them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast