Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the New Stuff???

Where's the New Stuff???

I think that the Lutron Caseta/Serena system is still the best you can buy at this price point, but we know it can do SO Much more if they would just add a few more pieces of hardware and software. It seems to be at a standstill and it really seems that it's more of a marketing decision i.e. they don't want to cannibalize their pricier systems, rather than a technical issue.

Needed:
    Dimmers and switches to also send commands to other dimmers/switches
    Multiple tap, press and hold etc as a way to use a single switch or pico to perform different functions
    True multi-button scene controllers
    Occupancy sensors
    Motion sensors
    Light sensors
    Multiple user geofence options that can trigger events based on whether all are home or away
    Higher voltage switch for heaters etc
    More and better integration with other systems such as alarms, thermostats, security cameras etc

Would be nice:
    A way to integrate their other systems such as RadioRa into Caseta (I know I'm dreaming)
    A toggle type switch; in some rooms such as bedrooms and bathrooms you tend to feel for the switch which is impossible with Caseta switches/picos
    Water leak sensor
    Vibration sensor
    Power usage sensor
    Door sensor

SmartThings makes a multipurpose sensor that does a bunch of things that I mentioned: http://amzn.to/2g6JkXg

Just about everything I mentioned are things they already make or do for their other systems, which is why I think it's mostly a marketing issue, but as has been said here ad nauseam, I'm not about to switch to their pricier systems, ever. As it is, you can see on the internet that whenever Caseta/Serena is mentioned, it's usually followed by comments about it being too expensive compared to the other options. I think all of us realize that our systems are a great value for the price compared to those other systems, but it could still offer much more value.

Let me know if anything I've mentioned is available or there's a workaround that I've missed.

2. Likes julianm, rhett7660 liked this post
    Forgot this one: an easy, not expensive way to label buttons rather than having to order a custom Pico or switch. Replaceable engraved buttons would be great but even simple stick ons if that's not possible.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for taking the time to type up this feedback! It's suggestions like this that help us drive innovation. I will be sure to get this over to the appropriate parties at Lutron.

The Smart Bridge is such a great and reliable product. I hate that it keeps getting held back from what it truly can be because of marketing and protecting other product line within Lutron. The people who buy Caseta will never be ones who upgrade to the pricier models. If Lutron would come out with some new hardware for this system. There is no reason that the Smart Bridge Pro should not become the main processor for all Lutron radio devices. Let Caseta and Serena be the consumer line and the other switches be available through pros.

Here are things I would love to see:

- iPad App
    - adjustable fade rates
    - hybrid dimmer keypads
    - fan control
    - Door lock support
    - Expose thermostat settings in the Smart Bridge Pro API so Control4, Crestron, Simple Control, etc. can access it.

6. Likes HomeKit, rhett7660 liked this post
    My suggestion is get rid of the (artificially imposed) 50 device limit. Its not such big deal because one can easily set up 2 hubs and use homekit to control everything, but then Lutron is driving consumers away from its interface and just becoming a seller of commodities (switches/blinds) that are ultimately controlled by apples ecosystem.

In a few years end user installed systems will become a much bigger market than the custom installer stuff. Companies that don't' focus on the end consumer stuff rather than the integrators will be left behind. Integrators also need to change their model and focus on selling lower cost (i.e. caseta) systems to end users who may not be savvy enough to install/program on their own.

The number of people becoming interested in theses systems will continue to grow exponentially if the affordability is there. The other players in the market are starting to warm up to the consumer market as well...5 years ago I would have told you hell will freeze over before Savant sells remotes in Best Buy!

8. Likes HomeKit, rhett7660 liked this post
    My suggestion is get rid of the (artificially imposed) 50 device limit. Its not such big deal because one can easily set up 2 hubs and use homekit to control everything, but then Lutron is driving consumers away from its interface and just becoming a seller of commodities (switches/blinds) that are ultimately controlled by apples ecosystem.

In a few years end user installed systems will become a much bigger market than the custom installer stuff. Companies that don't' focus on the end consumer stuff rather than the integrators will be left behind. Integrators also need to change their model and focus on selling lower cost (i.e. caseta) systems to end users who may not be savvy enough to install/program on their own.

The number of people becoming interested in theses systems will continue to grow exponentially if the affordability is there. The other players in the market are starting to warm up to the consumer market as well...5 years ago I would have told you hell will freeze over before Savant sells remotes in Best Buy!

I think the general feeling from consumers is that they don't understand what Caseta brings to the table versus something like a Wemo switch. Reviewers don't seem to understand the nuances as well which doesn't help as they tend to gravitate to products from small companies making products outside of their core competency.

My hope is that the Caseta lineup is infused with a few more products, integrations and marketing to shed light on how it's a system properly done. I routinely have discussions with people that simply will not replace their bulbs with smart-bulbs based on cost so they're looking for wireless control of dimmer switches to bridge the gap.

Here's hoping to some great new stuff in 2017.

11. Likes HomeKit liked this post
    I also wanted a iPad app so being a software engineer I wrote my own home automation software :) I can also integrate all my Lutron Caseta lights and shades with my other smart products and thermostat. If anyone else wants to try it you need the PRO version of the smart bridge because I use the telnet integration to send/receive commands and a computer to run the software on, I use a Raspberry PI.

Other things I wanted to be able to do were:
    - automation, hook up double tap to turn all lights on/off on the switch next to my front door
    - timers to open/close shades
    - have on user interface to control all my smart home products.

It might be useful for other people, you can try it here:
    https://github.com/markdaws/gohome

Quote Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
    The Smart Bridge is such a great and reliable product. I hate that it keeps getting held back from what it truly can be because of marketing and protecting other product line within Lutron. The people who buy Caseta will never be ones who upgrade to the pricier models. If Lutron would come out with some new hardware for this system. There is no reason that the Smart Bridge Pro should not become the main processor for all Lutron radio devices. Let Caseta and Serena be the consumer line and the other switches be available through pros.

Here are things I would love to see:

- iPad App
    - adjustable fade rates
    - hybrid dimmer keypads
    - fan control
    - Door lock support
    - Expose thermostat settings in the Smart Bridge Pro API so Control4, Crestron, Simple Control, etc. can access it.

Hey mark, is that a web app running on pi? That does not look like native iPad app, and has no remote access, like homesense?

Hi veeeh - correct, this is a web app that runs on a Raspberry PI, it uses the telnet integration of the PRO version to monitor and control the lights/shades. You could setup remote access with the PI pretty easily, I haven't done it yet since I was mainly interested in controlling my house locally without having to rely on the Lutron webservices, but you could use a service like https://www.dataplicity.com/ to quickly get remote secure access to your PI.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Hey mark, is that a web app running on pi? That does not look like native iPad app, and has no remote access, like homesense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast