Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flashing Red LED on PD5WS-DV

Flashing Red LED on PD5WS-DV

I have about 15 or so PD5WS RF switches. I have installed the MLC on all of them. When I returned from a trip recently I noticed that on at least 10 of these devices the front LED was flashing red. All of my other devices were OK.....about 90 dimmers and pico remotes. First time I have seen that...to clear it I just cycled the switch ON/OFF once by hand and it was OK. When the LED was flashing Red, I believe I was not able to control it or get status on it. (Didn't pay much attention to that at the time.......). In any case, everything was back to normal once it was cycled OFF/OFF.

What could have caused this?

Justin

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.coolDallas View Post
    I have about 15 or so PD5WS RF switches. I have installed the MLC on all of them. When I returned from a trip recently I noticed that on at least 10 of these devices the front LED was flashing red. All of my other devices were OK.....about 90 dimmers and pico remotes. First time I have seen that...to clear it I just cycled the switch ON/OFF once by hand and it was OK. When the LED was flashing Red, I believe I was not able to control it or get status on it. (Didn't pay much attention to that at the time.......). In any case, everything was back to normal once it was cycled OFF/OFF.

What could have caused this?

Justin
    Hi Justin,

What you experienced is definitely not typical, especially because you had the LUT-MLCs installed. We would like to get some more details about your application in order to come up with a potential cause. Please send us an email to systemsupport@lutron.com, reference Case #7326762, and we will continue troubleshooting via email. Once we come up with a theory, we will be happy to come back here and to share our findings with hopes of helping others!

Thanks,
    Zach

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    After working with the customer and our engineering team, we all suspect that a power dropout or brownout caused the switch to falsely detect insufficient load. The switch has 2 levels where the red LED can come on. Both mean not enough load…

[Solid Red] indicates that the product isn't functioning at all [Flashing red] Means that only the RF isn't functioning

In either case, a power cycle of the switch will clear the LED code.

4. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post

Same issue

I am having issues with the red flashing light as well. I have a PS-5WS-DV-WH with a pico remote. They were both working great for a couple of weeks and all of a sudden i started getting the red flashing light. I can't control anything from the app. The pico remote won't work but i can turn it on and off from the switch. I turned off power to the switch waited a few minutes and turned pretty back on and got the green light. I added the switch and the pico remote again but as soon as I used the pico remote the red light started flashing again and nothing works except for the switch again. What else can I try? I don't have a LUT-MLC, i thought that was only for dimmers. Do i need one?

Lutron Technical Support
    If you have a red flashing light with a PD-5WS-DV, it is an indication that it requires a LUT-MLC. If you do not have any LUT-MLCs, you can either contact us at 1-888-588-7661 or support@lutron.com and we would be happy to send out the LUT-MLCs required for your application. Also, the LUT-MLC should only be used with ON/OFF switches as it was not designed to be used with dimmers.