Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Multi-dimmer Synchronization and Dimming Rates

Multi-dimmer Synchronization and Dimming Rates

I've been using multiple Caseta dimmers with the SmartBridge Pro and HomeKit for a month and a half now, and I've noticed two quirks that are bothersome:

1. When "scenes" are triggered within Lutron's app, a slower more pleasing fade rate is used. But when HomeKit scenes are triggered from outside Lutron's app, the changes are jarringly quick.

2. When scenes are changed from HomeKit, the dimmers are not triggered at the same time, there is some offset. Maybe this is always the case with Caseta regardless of the trigger source (does anyone know?), but it's definitely much more apparent with HomeKit scenes, because the fade rates are so fast that one dimmer finishes its fade before the other even begins sometimes!

Conclusion: I would like to see fade rate on HomeKit-triggered scenes match the Lutron app's usual rate, or the rate of the Pico remotes. Additionally, I'd like multiple dimmers to fire as simultaneously as possible.

Has anyone else noticed this and been bothered by it?

Does anyone know if fade rate is a parameter dictated by the SmartBridge? (which has updatable firmware?) I assume it must be controlled there.

2. Thanks SDR-Mike, devin thanked for this post
    *bump*

Nobody else using Caseta has thoughts about dimming rates, or synchronization of dimming? I'm surprised...!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for taking the time to put together this feedback! I have passed along these suggestions to our development team for consideration. I myself immediately noticed the behavior described above, and also prefer a slower fade rate and a simultaneous "on"!

5. Thanks smart_home_guy thanked for this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for taking the time to put together this feedback! I have passed along these suggestions to our development team for consideration. I myself immediately noticed the behavior described above, and also prefer a slower fade rate and a simultaneous "on"!

Quote Originally Posted by smart_home_guy View Post
    *bump*

Nobody else using Caseta has thoughts about dimming rates, or synchronization of dimming? I'm surprised...!
    ....I've noticed it and would love a synchronized/slow fade but the request pile for Caseta Wireless is pretty tall.

I agree the request pile is high, but I'd hope something software based that impacts a large portion of the customer base would get some priority.

I've been using a bunch of caseta wireless switches w HomeKit for 6 months now and would really like control of the fade on/off rates somewhere. I have a theater room and would like to significantly slow down the fade on/off for my movie viewing scenes. They're both too fast with no control (I know of) for switches that cost $60 a pop.

Need fade rate control

I've been using a bunch of caseta wireless switches w HomeKit for 6 months now and would really like control of the fade on/off rates somewhere. I have a theater room and would like to significantly slow down the fade on/off for my movie viewing scenes. They're both too fast and spoil the experience I'm trying to create. The experience and control is what I'm paying for at $60 a pop right?!

The scene transition speed I know the hub has control over. At the very least matching transitions from keypads/the Lutron app would be nice, but some configurable options there would be even better.As far as sync, that's more of a HomeKit issue. There's no batching of requests when you toggle a scene or zone: HomeKit goes down the list and sends commands for each item individually. It would be less noticeable with slower transitions, but the problem would still exist, and I don't think Lutron can do anything about it unless there's been changes to the HomeKit hub spec that allow for batch commands.