Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IFTTT Integration

Authorized Lutron Contributor

IFTTT Integration

We've been getting some feedback on IFTTT integration but haven't heard much on how folks would use it within RA2. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

An obvious one is to use IFTTT geofencing so a scene can be triggered when i enter my home area... lights, garage, etc.
    I'd like to SMS a text message with a scene name to my IFTTT number and it would call that scene at home. (faster than launching the connect app). IFTTT permits this type of triggering of actions.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    An obvious one is to use IFTTT geofencing so a scene can be triggered when i enter my home area... lights, garage, etc.
    This is already a feature with the Connect App under "Arriving/Leaving Home". You can set it up so it sends you a notification before it performs an action. If you want it to turn on that scene you select the notification, there is no need to open the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bo. View Post
    This is already a feature with the Connect App under "Arriving/Leaving Home". You can set it up so it sends you a notification before it performs an action. If you want it to turn on that scene you select the notification, there is no need to open the app.
    True, but that assumes I only want lutron lighting to be triggered. If I have multiple actions to perform (garage door, temperature, lights, audio) then I have to do it with IFTTT.

Numerous other examples of being able to trigger lights with almost any event I choose - email, SMS, weather, location, other app/website activity. Just look at the creative uses of Hue or LiFX that already are out there on IFTTT. Easy to browse and see the amazing things people have done.

5. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
    Temperature Sensing from a T-Stat to trigger a shade action (i.e. -Its getting warm outside and you want to close shades)

- - - Updated - - -

Temperature Sensing from a T-Stat to trigger a shade action (i.e. -Its getting warm outside and you want to close shades)

I would add the features Caseta has from the Nest and Ifttt integration to my Ra system.
    1) Better home/away sensing.
    I want my Nest to activate All Off based on Nest sensing that the house is empty. Our house is in a cellular dead spot so the connect app fails to even deliver the geofencing option 75% of the time or more. I tried adjusting the radius but it doesn't matter if I drive South from my house the App can't get a strong enough connection to even work. It's the cellular service so the geofencing feature almost never works on my home system. However Nest sensing away and sending a IFTT trigger would work better anyway.
    2) weather based shade controls, as meantioned above
    3) August lock locking turns on/off a scene
    4) integration with Ring doorbell, ring senses motion and the porch light turns on.. doorbell button press turns on a light inside so someone always looks home.
    5) Nest protect alarms turn on lights (smoke or CO)

- - - Updated - - -

I would add the features Caseta has from the Nest and Ifttt integration to my Ra system.
    1) Better home/away sensing.
    I want my Nest to activate All Off based on Nest sensing that the house is empty. Our house is in a cellular dead spot so the connect app fails to even deliver the geofencing option 75% of the time or more. I tried adjusting the radius but it doesn't matter if I drive South from my house the App can't get a strong enough connection to even work. It's the cellular service so the geofencing feature almost never works on my home system. However Nest sensing away and sending a IFTT trigger would work better anyway.
    2) weather based shade controls, as meantioned above
    3) August lock locking turns on/off a scene
    4) integration with Ring doorbell, ring senses motion and the porch light turns on.. doorbell button press turns on a light inside so someone always looks home.
    5) Nest protect alarms turn on lights (smoke or CO)
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

RA 2 motion & buttons to set hot water tank mode (GE Appliance)
    More advanced schedule/trigger options from other IFTT devices.
    Compatibility with all of the holiday devices we will be dealing with shortly. Doorbells, DoorLocks, Appliances (Samsung/GE)

I have not used IFTT before but have integrated RA2 with HAI and RTI and would love to see some basic logic ability added to the RA2 system.

Being able to have a motion/occ/vac sensor trigger a brightness level based on the time of day would be great. For instance, a client enters their bathroom at 2am and the lights go to 20% instead of 75% allowing them enough light to see but not completely wake them up.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not used IFTT before but have integrated RA2 with HAI and RTI and would love to see some basic logic ability added to the RA2 system.

Being able to have a motion/occ/vac sensor trigger a brightness level based on the time of day would be great. For instance, a client enters their bathroom at 2am and the lights go to 20% instead of 75% allowing them enough light to see but not completely wake them up.

10. Likes gt3mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bo. View Post
    We've been getting some feedback on IFTTT integration but haven't heard much on how folks would use it within RA2. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Just saw this thread, figured I'd add a couple of use cases (I can personally see use for IFTTT both ways in/out of Lutron) that I have:

1. my Fireplace required me to use a low voltage dry contact switch that my Lutron dealer said wasn't an option to put on RA2... so I went ahead and used zwave + smartthings for that. Now, if I want to create a Scene "Romantic Night" where my Lights, Shades, and Fireplace all work together, it would be good to have an IFTT integration to make that an option.

2. my video doorbell (IFTTT capable) has a motion sensor in it, and my lights are all RA2. I'd like to be able to turn on my porch lights if the video doorbell motion sensor activates.

3. my garage door automation is zwave (IFTTT capable), and it would be great to be able to use my "Goodnight" button on my Lutron wall control and have that trigger my garage doors to close.

4. my entertainment system is now also IFTTT capable and it would be fun to also integrate some TV into my scenes (eg; "Sports Night" triggers TV to turn on and change to ESPN -- BTW: I can already do this via Alexa)

5. I've also been playing with more advanced rules systems (eg; CoRE, in ST) and they can use IFTTT as a Trigger or an Action, so if Lutron had IFTTT integration, I could use my Lutron shades & lights in more complex Logic running in ST.

So, those are a few things I can think of.

Best, -Jeff-

BTW: I will also freely admit that IFTTT sort of sucks in that it is trivially simple logic and performance is very spotty (latency can be quite high) ... but the benefit is that it is sort of become the lowest common denominator language to talk between the various platforms and it seems to me that there's benefit in playing in that space...

I believe there's a big opportunity for Lutron to solve a big, consistent, and long-standing complaint by users of connected light bulbs, which is that the requirement to operate them with a smart phone makes them impractical for a variety of reasons (guests, kids, etc that mess up your system by flipping physical switches around, the fact that when not all lights are on stuff gets out of sync, etc)... just take the foundation of the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote but go a step or two further by integrating them more seamlessly with smart lights like Lifx and Hue; and also add some functionality to control both brightness levels AND color spectrum options. The world needs physical controls for these devices that are intuitive and look like they belong permanently mounted on walls of homes. Something like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Smart Bulb Control.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	687

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast