Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: No wifi connection to HWQS processors

No wifi connection to HWQS processors

Does anyone have and bright ideas as to why I cannot connect to either QS processor via wifi? It works fine if I plug my computer into a wired ethernet jack, but cannot communicate with them via wifi.

I can open a Windows command line prompt window and ping both processors, so I know the network is fine. I can communicate to other systems (HAI and Savant) with the same computer via wifi. I can manually type in the processor address in the HWQS terminal window and get a reply from the processor, but cannot download to it. They show as "not responding" in the activate window.

Both processors have valid IP addresses, show up in my network scans, reply to pings from multiple devices. Controlling the system via the app works just fine.

Using HWQS 8.3 at the moment and will try upgrading to a later version to see if that fixes it, but this computer has worked fine at the last 3 jobs.

2. Thanks Gil Gidron thanked for this post
    Try this

Under Acticate Tab goto system communication and choose to connect to a specific ip Do NOT use Multicating

If you scan the forum you'll see that there are about a half dozen people with the same issue. I've gone through hell and back on the job sites because within the last year, it's almost impossible to connect to the QS or Ra2 processors using wifi unless you first disable all your computer's protections, wire directly, set up static IP, and THEN if you're lucky, you can connect with the wifi. If you have your own router and they don't have the networking setup in the house, it means you have to make a return trip once the network is setup to make sure the static IP you setup matches the house's networking and there are no conflicts. Lutron's response so far in 2016 has been essentially "You want to use wifi??! Hahaha, no no no, you have to connect directly like it's 1994".

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    If you scan the forum you'll see that there are about a half dozen people with the same issue. I've gone through hell and back on the job sites because within the last year, it's almost impossible to connect to the QS or Ra2 processors using wifi unless you first disable all your computer's protections, wire directly, set up static IP, and THEN if you're lucky, you can connect with the wifi. If you have your own router and they don't have the networking setup in the house, it means you have to make a return trip once the network is setup to make sure the static IP you setup matches the house's networking and there are no conflicts. Lutron's response so far in 2016 has been essentially "You want to use wifi??! Hahaha, no no no, you have to connect directly like it's 1994".

In QS if you set up your system to use specific ip of 1 processor then wifi has never ever been a problem The only time wifi seems to be a problem is when you have your connection in QS to use multicast. I just goto activate tab then under system communications don't use multicast. Wifi will always work then the only real down fall is upload time and you can't extract.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post

In QS if you set up your system to use specific ip of 1 processor then wifi has never ever been a problem The only time wifi seems to be a problem is when you have your connection in QS to use multicast. I just goto activate tab then under system communications don't use multicast. Wifi will always work then the only real down fall is upload time and you can't extract.

- - - Updated - -
    Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    If only that was true consistently. In my last job, even after I had setup static ip (I picked something simple like 192.168.1.6 for QS) on the old Linksys router I've used on jobs for years, I could only connect via wifi if all my firewalls in windows were shut down.

In another house that I set up 4 years ago, which I'll be honest, probably has a better network than many corporations and where we have set up port forwarding for remote programming changes, I have few connection issues with wifi without changing my firewall settings. Maybe it's actually going to the outside internet and coming back in through the port, I don't know, I'm not a scientist. I just know that these systems cost more than any other system and I can't connect via wifi without taking my heartburn medication.
    Last edited by SparkyCoog; 12-07-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: took off double updates which happens for some reason

I can't comment not knowing all of the variables with how your setup. I can tell you this if your looking to use port forwarding to upload remotely thats a huge mistake. If the network as you said is high end cooperate network then they would never had open holes using port forwarding. I tell people all the time the best and most reliable way to upload remotely is to spend a few dollars and have a machine onsite on the local network. Then RDP into the machine. I don't have much **** pain with QS as others seem to. My pain comes in when using the software on a server or VM where i have multiple IP to 1 network card. The multicast fails to check the 2nd and 3rd IP. To me that sucks and hopefully will be resolved soon

- - - Updated - - -

I can't comment not knowing all of the variables with how your setup. I can tell you this if your looking to use port forwarding to upload remotely thats a huge mistake. If the network as you said is high end cooperate network then they would never had open holes using port forwarding. I tell people all the time the best and most reliable way to upload remotely is to spend a few dollars and have a machine onsite on the local network. Then RDP into the machine. I don't have much **** pain with QS as others seem to. My pain comes in when using the software on a server or VM where i have multiple IP to 1 network card. The multicast fails to check the 2nd and 3rd IP. To me that sucks and hopefully will be resolved soon