Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro MA-T51

Maestro MA-T51

About 9 months ago I installed a ceiling vent fan and a Maestro MA-T51 timer. The fan started making horrible noises and now I'm trouble shooting why.

The questions I have for this esteemed group are:
    • why is there 120 volts to the fan when the switch is turned off?
    • The LED on the Maestro MA-T51 is off when the fan is removed from the circuit, not sure why that happens?
    • Could the continuous voltage (and assumed tiny amperage) be damaging the fan motor?

TIA

(PS - for what it is worth, the fan is smooth and quiet when spun by hand)

Anyone? anyone?

Sounds to me like the wiring is backwards. Like it's going Breaker->Fan->Switch->Neutral instead of Breaker->Switch->Fan->Neutral. Which would explain items #1 and #2 on your list.

The switch only connects to the hot, load and ground. I tried switching the hot and the load but that made no difference. The fan still has a 60 Hz buzz while running, but if I take the MA-T51 out of the circuit it the fan runs very quietly indeed. I'm going to conclude the switch is bad and replace it. I'll be avoiding Lutron products because failing after 9 months is unacceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

The switch only connects to the hot, load and ground. I tried switching the hot and the load but that made no difference. The fan still has a 60 Hz buzz while running, but if I take the MA-T51 out of the circuit it the fan runs very quietly indeed. I'm going to conclude the switch is bad and replace it. I'll be avoiding Lutron products because failing after 9 months is unacceptable.

In post #1 you said:

Quote Quote
    • why is there 120 volts to the fan when the switch is turned off?
    Is that still the case? Is 120V present if you remove the switch? If so, your wiring is wrong and you need to fix that before you blame the switch. The bad wiring might have damaged the switch.