Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both Caseta and Ra2 in same house?

Both Caseta and Ra2 in same house?

Is it possible to use the same login e-mail for both a Caseta and a Ra2 system in the same house?

I'm not asking 'why you'd want to do such a thing'. I'm asking if they require separate e-mail addresses.

Because when I just tried to set up a Smart Bridge Pro the app told me I have to use the Ra2 Connect app.

Is the system trying to be overly friendly here? Preventing me from using the same e-mail address on both kinds of systems?

I can, of course, use a different e-mail address. I need to know, however, if that's REQUIRED or not.

It is required to use different mails for the two systems. If you try to use the same email for both systems there will be issues. I know first hand.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Ugh, well, that's an unwelcome complication. Not one terribly difficult to work around, just an annoying impediment.

A Lutron moderator should answer. I know this was an issue when the Connect Bridges for RA started shipping, but this may have been fixed. Also, does this limitation apply when you use the same email address for two different systems in two houses, one with RA 2 or HWQS and one with Caseta?

Lutron??
    Phil Scheetz
    Lighting Control Solutions
    pscheetz@lightingcontrolsolutions.com

I have a Ra2 system in my house and Caseta system in my office. I was having issues so I reached out to Lutron support back in July. I suspected my attempt to share the same email for both systems was the cause of some issue I was having. This is the responce from July 7 2106.
    "You are correct, if using both systems this will cause issues using the same email address since both systems use the same servers for remote access. If you were replacing a Caseta system with Radio Ra2 it would be easy to swap from a Smart Bridge to a Connect Bridge, but not use the same email at the same time for 2 systems."

Unless they added another server (or two) I doubt this changed. Looking forward to an update from Lutron Support too.

For sure you need to have two different accounts. My lighting supplier had setup a Caseta system in their showroom (and was very proud that he did it himself without paying me lol) and wanted me to move the Ra2 setup in the other room to the main network (from a fake standalone network) and add the Connect bridge. I kind of went through hell at first because it couldn't find it on the network (due to it being setup on static ip and the new network was a different configuration) but after figuring that out, when we tried to create a new account with the same email address, it said that it was already in use.

This sounds like a really stupid limitation. Why doesn't Lutron allow the use of a single email address and then further determine the account or sub accounts if they exist by resolving to a dns account tied to each residences public IP. Obviously this wouldn't resolve the issues on two account at the same residence but that should rarely happen but even then there could be a unigue idenifier per system if only using the system's own mac address which might even be even then resolving to a public IP.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    This sounds like a really stupid limitation.
    There's a lot of that with regard to the silo treatment of the various Lutron home products. There's clearly a strong mandate within the company to insist on these ridiculous separations of the product lines, complete with pricing the exact same products differently just because they're tied to one of those silo markets. I really haven't seen a company clinging so desperately and bitterly to a marketing strategy that all but died in the last millennium. Yet, here we are.

Meanwhile more agile companies with arguably inferior products are making tremendous in-roads into the residential market. Meanwhile Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    There's a lot of that with regard to the silo treatment of the various Lutron home products. There's clearly a strong mandate within the company to insist on these ridiculous separations of the product lines, complete with pricing the exact same products differently just because they're tied to one of those silo markets. I really haven't seen a company clinging so desperately and bitterly to a marketing strategy that all but died in the last millennium. Yet, here we are.

Meanwhile more agile companies with arguably inferior products are making tremendous in-roads into the residential market. Meanwhile Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

The trick is to remain in both markets, high-end, which is still a pretty good business for Lutron and the newer DIY segment, where Caseta lives. Lutron has a strong dealer base for Do-it-for-me (DIFM)systems, like RA 2 and HWQS. They also have Caseta, which is a fast growing product in the DIY segment.

If you owned a company that was doing several hundred million dollars in the DIFM market and you had a rapidly growing DIY product line, you might not choose to converge them either. It's a little like VW deciding not to merge Audi or Porsche into VW, Seat or Skoda, which by the way, also largely use the same parts inside.

That said, I think the limitation of having an email address be able to access and create more than one account, could and should be fixed. We have many clients who have RA 2 or HWQS in one or more house and then they want a simple Caseta setup to do a few light or shades, or temperature control in another home, like a beach house. It would be good to be able to setup more than one system on an email address.
    Phil Scheetz
    Lighting Control Solutions
    pscheetz@lightingcontrolsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by pscheetz View Post
    If you owned a company that was doing several hundred million dollars in the DIFM market and you had a rapidly growing DIY product line, you might not choose to converge them either. It's a little like VW deciding not to merge Audi or Porsche into VW, Seat or Skoda, which by the way, also largely use the same parts inside.
    As someone that's owned several of those brands (VW, Audi and now a Porsche) I don't think the analogy has any of the same kind of direct comparison. Yeah, it's kinda close... but not. I'm reminded of analogies trying to tie boat manufacturing to automobiles. The parallels are temping, but not actually similar at all.

DIFM is a clever spin on it. The stumbling point for Lutron is they're deliberately punishing customers for entering the market below the company's dictated points of entry. Want to start DIY and grow? Ok, Lutron makes some excellent dimmers and some nice remotes. Ah, discover you like DIY but want a little more? NO UPGRADES FOR YOU, says the Soup ****. Rip out all that Caseta, and bend over for an 'integrator' and RA2. Oh, you want conditional controls? Rip all that and get a FIRM GRIP on your ankles for HWQS. Meanwhile, Samsung, Amazon, Philips, Apple and others are steadily building a lot of really great solutions with a lot of emerging DIFM technologies. Sure, they're coupled with crappier dimmers but the customers don't know this (and Lutron's spending little-to-zero money educating them otherwise).

Lutron may think they're sitting fat and happy playing this game... until the bottom drops out. All because of artificially segmenting their otherwise terrific products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast