Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Maestro Motion Sensor Comparison

Maestro Motion Sensor Comparison

What is the difference between the Radio Powr Savr wireless wall-mounted occupancy/vacancy sensor LRF2-OWLB-P and the Maestro Motion Sensor switch MS-OPS2?

It will be for a small home office. The setup I currently have is not exactly what I need. The wall switch will turn on when I enter the room, but will turn off after a set amount of time. It doesn't recognize fine movement like typing which is why I am trying to find a different switch. I have the rest of my house using the Caseata lights, but they do not have product for this type of setup.

There really isn't anything that's going to recognize small-motion situations like being seated at a desk, in a chair reading or lying down watching television. At least not without moving to higher-end security systems using hard-wired sensors.

Sometimes you can get 'close' moving the sensors around, or using multiples, but eventually it fails more often than it succeeds leading to disappointment/annoyance. As in, the wife hates it.

thank you. i have found some that will detect fine movement like tying. Not Lurton though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squill View Post
    thank you. i have found some that will detect fine movement like tying. Not Lurton though.
    Which ones?

All sensors from Lutron will pick up this fine movement. It comes down to does the sensor have a direct line of sight to that movement? An in wall sensor often cannot "see" something like typing as the monitor might be in the way, or a larger "heat" source that masks the movement. To insure the sensor sees the required movement, consider the LRF2-OCR2BP-WH ceiling sensor linked to your flavor of radio switch/dimmer from Lutron.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I have all three kinds and tried them, in various locations in the room. including the use of Lutron's mount for them.

The vertical sensors (wall or corner) will timeout to vacancy unless it's directly next to me, within about 4' line of sight of hands on the keyboard. This on the most sensitive setting. Ceiling was never quite sensitive enough, likely due to 10' ceilings. A single sensor times out often enough to be annoying. Using multiple sensors was less-worse but still not perfect. Which, at this price point, you'd want it to be, especially if you set up more than one.

For me, they're not sensitive enough for sedentary positions.