Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Unable to find existing Main Rep that has static IP

Question Unable to find existing Main Rep that has static IP

Folks, I located a Main Rep in this residential network, it has a static IP address. Using Fing I located the address, then logged into the Main Rep by typing its IP address on a browser, and checked the sw version (10.5). I installed Inclusive 10.5 on my laptop, connected to the same network. I pinged the laptop and the Main Rep, both respond. I open Inclusive and select Extract File. It simply can't find the Main Rep. I open a New Project a,d try to find the Main Rep, it can't be found. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

It's probably either the windows firewall or the network switch (or router) blocking the protocol needed to find the main repeater. Have you tried calling Lutron support?
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Thanks for the reply. I try not to contact Lutron support unless it is really needed. So here is the solution: unplug Main Rep from network, plug directly to computer NIC, program computer to the same domain as the Main Rep but with a different IP address (example: if Main Rep is 193.168.1.254, program computer to 192.168.1.100 amd domain to 192.168.1.1) and voila! The Main Rep is discoverable and ready for extraction.

Technically, it's not called a domain, it's an IP address range. Which is additionally refined by the subnet. 192.168.1.1-254 being the range, narrowed to 254 devices using the /24 (255.255.255.0) subnet mask.

Domain typically indicates either the friendlier DNS (domain naming service) or a Windows authentication server realm.

Your solution worked because when you set up a direct connection in the same IP range and subnet the network driver automagically handled the behind the scenes cross-referencing that goes on between an IP address and the actual Ethernet hardware address. That and a direct connection eliminates the possibility of anything else getting in the way or otherwise altering/blocking the network traffic.

5. Thanks Dimerize thanked for this post
    Likes Dimerize liked this post