Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: v10.6 is out, with Alexa Integration. How?

v10.6 is out, with Alexa Integration. How?

v10.6 says you can now add Alexa voice control to any button on a keypad. Release notes don't say HOW to do this... can someone walk me through how to do it?

Thanks,
    -josh

According to the release note, adding Alexa to a physical keypad is done through the Connect app. This would require a Connect Bridge in the system and the latest version of Lutron Connect app on their phone to make the changes.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Likes Armando B. liked this post
    Yes, I've read the release notes and my personal system has a Connect Bridge and we have an Echo. I still can't figure out exactly how to do it in the connect app.

Presumably there's going to be an Alexa Smart Home skill that will have to be added to your Alexa account. Right now I'm not seeing anything new when searching for "Lutron" in the smart home skills section of the app. There's the existing Caseta smart home skill, but nothing new for Ra2 or the Connect Bridge.

Nor is there anything new in the Google Play store. The "Lutron Connect for RA2 & HWQS" app is still version 2.0 dated 9/12/2016.

So presumably there's going to be two things, a new smart home skill and an update to the Connect app. Neither appear to be online yet.

no, Smart Home devices are typically NOT done via the Skills interface in the Echo. They should be discoverable by Echo in the Smart Home section of the app.

Still hoping someone who actually has done this can post step-by-step instructions, or that someone can get this from Lutron. The release notes are completely inadequate to try to get this working.

You are incorrect.

Note I specifically mentioned "Smart Home skill".

Those are distinct and separate from the regular Alexa skills. Any time you want to add a specific Smart Home interface you need to add a Smart Home skill for that to your Alexa account. At which point you'll use the app to set up the authorization for that Smart Home skill to allow Alexa access to it.

Check the Smart Home section on the left sidebar of the Alexa app. In there you can scroll down and add Smart Home skills. There's nothing other than Caseta in there now from Lutron.

The way Alexa integration works is your Alexa device talks to the Amazon cloud service. The cloud service can be told to use certain Smart Home skills. That allows connections from the Alexa cloud service to the vendor's cloud service for that skill. From there the vendor cloud connects to whatever you've got on-site.

To make the connections work you need to tell the Alexa service to add a Smart Home skill. While using the app to do this it'll ask you to set up the authorization needed. This is how the Amazon cloud gets permission to speak to the skill. Presumably, the skill will already be set up or enabled by the vendor, or you'll be able to do it here in the Alexa app.

For example, the Caseta skill requires using the Caseta app to set up the account first. Once you've got that account you can use that username/password in the Alexa app to make the connection.

I'm guessing the Smart Home skill for this will use the same username/password the Connect app uses. When said skill actually becomes available, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    You are incorrect.

Note I specifically mentioned "Smart Home skill".

Those are distinct and separate from the regular Alexa skills. Any time you want to add a specific Smart Home interface you need to add a Smart Home skill for that to your Alexa account. At which point you'll use the app to set up the authorization for that Smart Home skill to allow Alexa access to it.
    apologies - i read too quick and/or misunderstood. thanks for the clarification.
    -josh

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    We are very close to the release of new Amazon Alexa integration; we are in the process of completing the final steps of testing and approval. Once the skill is published through the Amazon Alexa app, we will update the forum to communicate that it is available. Please check back for updates.

As for how it needs to be set up:

1. Add at least one Amazon Alexa device to the network
    2. Open the Lutron Connect App and go to the settings menu
    3. Tap on Voice Integration
    4. Import favorites, if desired, otherwise select continue (if you haven’t set up already)
    5. If favorites are imported, verify the (default) Voice Command/Alias (change it, if necessary)
      1. If scenes from keypads are being selected, navigate to the desired area where the scene is located and verify that Voice Control is desired

6. Tap +Add/remove Scenes
    7. Save voice integration settings
    8. Using the Alexa app, enable the Lutron Connect skill
    9. Ask Alexa device to “Discover smart home devices”

12. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast