Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: v10.6 is out, with Alexa Integration. How?

If I'm reading this right, couldn't we just make a bunch of virtual keypad (or 'homeowner' keypads) with scene buttons programmed as toggles for each scene or device we want? Then "Turn on outside lights" and "turn off outside lights" would work, even if there isn't a physical button anywhere (programmed as a toggle button) for that specific grouping of devices?

The shades thing is definitely a problem though... there's no way that "turn on bedroom shades" is going to be natural or memorable for "shades up" (or would that be "down"?). Scenes for shades aren't much better - "turn on bedroom dark" is just counterintuitive.

Aren't there devices that can handle other voice commands... can you tell Nest "raise the temperature"? If so, couldn't Lutron do "raise/lower" voice commands for shades (or lights, for that matter)?

I'm also disappointed we can't directly control a specific light or group with voice commands like "set kitchen lights to 20%", which i think I could do with the work-around "Huetron" app for Alexa. I know i can make a scene for this, but it's just easier to speak what you want than remember dozens of scene names that will get what i want.

Yes, that would be better.

Lutron really needs to give us more action words:

On/Off
    Up/Down
    Open/Close
    Raise/Lower
    Dim
    Set

The coolest feature would be to identify which Echo Dot is receiving the voice command and be able to relate commands to devices in that vacinity.

Very similar to the way you can group which rooms a specific AC Controller relates to in the software currently. That would allow for generic commands for Light, Shade, AC.

Quote Originally Posted by ISaunders View Post
    Yes, that would be better.

Lutron really needs to give us more action words:

On/Off
    Up/Down
    Open/Close
    Raise/Lower
    Dim
    Set

The coolest feature would be to identify which Echo Dot is receiving the voice command and be able to relate commands to devices in that vacinity.

Very similar to the way you can group which rooms a specific AC Controller relates to in the software currently. That would allow for generic commands for Light, Shade, AC.
    This may not be a Lutron function, but an Alexa one. All the things you describe Lutron CAN do, just Alexa does not have a way (yet?) to access those functions.

At it's core, Lutron is an engineering firm that specializes in environmental controls for a physical world. This they excel at, and they eave the highly specialized things such as voice recognition to those who are best at it- Siri, Alexa, and the like.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Doesn't Lutron program the "skill" which takes the Alexa voice command and sends it to the RadioRa2 system with the proper parameters.

Wouldn't Lutron just have to improve and elaborate on the skill set?

You have to enable each dimmer from the voice config in the app. Each one can be named there, perhaps as something more speak-able.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    This may not be a Lutron function, but an Alexa one. All the things you describe Lutron CAN do, just Alexa does not have a way (yet?) to access those functions.
    Correct. These are limited by the Smart Home skill framework. There are percentage and other options. I'm traveling and haven't had a chance to dig further. Search Amazon's dev info for more.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post

At it's core, Lutron is an engineering firm that specializes in environmental controls for a physical world. This they excel at, and they eave the highly specialized things such as voice recognition to those who are best at it- Siri, Alexa, and the like.
    Alexa can do it. RTI Corp Remote Controls have a driver that includes the following Alexa commands:

On
    Off
    Up
    Down
    Raise
    Lower
    Brighten
    Dim

With the installed RTI Lutron Driver you can dim lights, lower shades, etc using Alexa. Guessing that Lutron will add similar functionality as this is just version 1.

Had hoped to use the supplied, virtual "homeowner keypad" function to create a bunch of shared toggle controls that I would then map to voice. Now that I understand this better, I will only use "toggle" programming for scenes I want to use with Alexa since that permits "on" and "off" voice controls.

BUT, here's the problem. Homeowner Keypads, for some inexplicable reason, do NOT permit "Shared Toggle" button programming. They only permit scene control, thus removing the voice "on" and "off" functionality.

To get around this, we have to create virtual keypads. Not a huge deal, but it means that we'll forever get all those activation errors and transfer errors each time we make any updates to the Radio Ra system. AND this will take up a device-count slot. Frustrating.

I've made a virtual RR-T15RL so at least i have 15 (17 actually) buttons to use for voice controls while only taking up 1 device-count slot.

I hope Lutron will enable true "virtual" keypads... keypads that will never exist in physical form, but are accessible via the app. Then we won't have all these error messages and device-limit issues for Alexa integrations. Or just let Homeowner Keypads support Shared Toggle buttons!

I AGREE, LUTRON, "WHY WON'T YOU GIVE US A CHECKBOX FOR VIRTUAL KEYPAD?"

Also, the problem using Shade Toggle is that you aren't able to open the shade to half way (50%). It's all or nothing. Who opens all their shades to 100%. So, you wind up using "TOGGLE CONTROL/ ROOM MONITORING" which doesn't support ON/OFF and then you have to send 2 different commands to Alexa. "Alexa, turn ON Office Shade Open" (50%), Alexa, turn ON Office Shade Closed". Alexa, quite often gets these 2 confused.

LUTRON PROGRAMMERS, I KNOW THIS IS ONLY VERSION #1, BUT COULDN'T YOU HAVE DONE A LITTLE BETTER ON THE FIRST RELEASE?

No, OPEN/CLOSE, UP/DOWN, etc?

PLEASE HELP!!

This clearly hasn't been well-implemented by Lutron. I had used the work-around solution "Huetron", posted here on these forums by user "etsandig" and it permitted saying things to Alexa like "dim kitchen lights to 50%", or even just a "dim the outside lights". It worked great. it's clear that it's not a limitation of Alexa.

This page shows available commands that Alexa CAN support with smart home systems, and it includes on/off, scene activation, setting brightness, setting fan speed, thermostat controls, and more.

This guy on Reddit found all kinds of synonyms and different syntax that Alexa supports as well. Interesting reading. Shows that Alexa does understand "raise" and "lower", "open" and "close".

I hope Lutron is working on some improvements to this so it will become better integrated.

--josh

11. Thanks gt3mike thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast