Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why is there a limit of 100 zones per RF link and 500 per wired link?

Why is there a limit of 100 zones per RF link and 500 per wired link?

This is very baffling to me so perhaps a Lutron person can explain the reasoning behind this. I always knew there was a DEVICE limit of 100 per link, but assumed that if a device had more than zone attached to it, it wouldn't matter and in fact, that's why we were encouraged to get a grafik eye or WPM instead of dimmers.

As it turns out, if you use a 6 zone WPM on the RF link, it counts as one device and 6 zones, both of which have a limit of 100 while if you use a WPM on the QS link, it also counts as 1 device and 6 zones, but 6 out of 500.

Why oh why does the wired link get 500 zones while the RF link only gets 100? It's the same device! I guess there is still an advantage to getting WPMs since you can free up room for non-zoned devices like keypads and sensors but it just doesn't seem very logical. Is there a technical reason or is this a sales/marketing ploy?

Hello SparkyCoog,
    Thank you for your post.
    It is a technical limitation of the Lutron Clear Connect. Here is a link that should be helpful going forward.
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...stem_Rules.pdf

Hi Blair, the link shows what the limitations are but I was wondering why on say the Radio Ra 2 system, 6 zone WPM counts as 6 devices when it's only one and why on a QS system, even though it counts as 1 device, it still counts againt the zone limit while using RF and not when it's wired. Is it because of the way Lutron addresses the devices? I would think that all it does is say "Hey WPM 3! Turn on your 4th zone to 80%!" but it sounds like each zone seems to have another address. I know this is probably proprietary information but I'm curious.