Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Keypad comes in and out of range during diagnostic

Question Keypad comes in and out of range during diagnostic

So we successfully activated a RRD-W6BRL keypad, but when Transferring to it Inclusive tells me the keypad is out of range or powered off. We then ran a Diagnostic and the keypad comes in and out of range sporadically. What amazes me is that the keypad is literally 30 feet from the Main Repeater! A Pico at 50 ft sends commands with no problem, not sure why the keypad cannot receive one in such a short distance. This happened to me once before, but it was with a Sivoia QS shade that was 20 feet from the Main Repeater. It would come in and out of range just like that. We moved the Main Repeater antenna several times and for now we think the problem is fixed. In that same location, we have a Pico on the other side of the apartment maybe 40 feet away from the Main Rep and it works flawlessly. Any inputs from others on this matter would be appreciated!

I had a situation a while ago where a device just would not work in a given room. I posted about it here. I swapped out the device but the new one still had the same problem. What solved it was deleting the room entirely from the project and recreating it from scratch. Then manually doing a factory reset on the devices in the box and re-activating them.

It was the damnedest thing, but apparently there was 'something' about the way the project handled the room and the devices that just wouldn't work right.

Not saying that directly applies to you situation, but I'd wonder.

As for the diagnostics and RF coverage, your mentioning "apartment" makes me wonder... Especially if it's older construction that might have issues with lead paint or other infrastructure inside the walls contributing to RF coverage problems. I had a sunroom with UV-reducing coatings on the windows that were incredibly disruptive of RF signals. Open the windows and you had great coverage, close them and the door to the house and things went downhill. That house was demolished and rebuilt but we never did sufficiently exorcise the RF hassles in that sunroom.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    I had a situation a while ago where a device just would not work in a given room. I posted about it here. I swapped out the device but the new one still had the same problem. What solved it was deleting the room entirely from the project and recreating it from scratch. Then manually doing a factory reset on the devices in the box and re-activating them.

It was the damnedest thing, but apparently there was 'something' about the way the project handled the room and the devices that just wouldn't work right.
    Dearwkearney99,
    Did your device never worked or did it had sporadic RF coverage like the case I described above? See, in my case the RF Diagnostic tells me that the device is in coverage, but then after some time it goes out of coverage, then back. Transferring to the device is a 1:3 success chance, sometimes it transfers, sometimes it can't communicate.
    Thanks

I can't say for sure as it's been a while and I don't know how much I used the diagnostic panel (or if it was even available in that rev of software). All I know is that against all kinds of reasonable logic the solution was to delete the devices and the room from the project, save, quit, reload, recreate the exact same room and devices, reactivate and re-transfer. Lo and behold the problem went away. I literally changed NO other aspects of the project or any other devices. I can't say that'll work here but I didn't think it'd matter for mine either... but it did.