Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can't get software to run

Can't get software to run

Anyone else run into problems installed 10.5 (or anything 10.0 up) on a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro x64?

Mine hangs at the splash screen for several minutes. If I click on it I get an AppHangB1 error. If I let it sit there a while it eventually pops up a dialog box with error 27042.

I've tried removing it, rebooting, re-installing, rebooting. And then rolling back to a system restore from a month ago. And repeating the remove/reboot/reinstall/reboot process. Nothing seems to be working.

I've likewise tried this as a user with admin privileges AND as the Administrator. No luck either way, and same errors.

This machine has never had RA2 software on it before. So I don't know if it's the machine or the RA2 installer.

Anyone else run afoul of this?

I had a customer run into this with 10.5. Also having issues with his 10.2. Hangs on splash screen. He had just run some new updates on his Windows 10. Funny thing was we had the firewalls and anti-virus turned off. Kept getting an error saying the database was unavailable. Ran a fresh download with prerequisites from mylutron.com and had the same problem.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

In wasting far too much time digging, there appears to be something wrong with getting vcredist and sql client code installed. Still digging...

After countless attempts to solve this I managed to get things working. Not entirely sure how as debugging nonsense like this doesn't always make for good repeatable testing strategies.

Near as I can figure what solved the problem was reinstalling the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable software. I reinstalled BOTH the x86 and the x64 versions of it. Fresh downloads from Microsoft, fresh reboot, did the installs, rebooted again and now RA2 software successfully loads.

There appears to be 'something else' going on with regard to SQL Express 2012, but at least the Lutron software is running. The software uses SQL 'behind the scenes' to store things and that, coupled with the vcredist problems, may have combined to cause the AppHangB1 error and eventual timeout.

There's a lot of cool frameworks available for Windows software development. Most work quite well. But when something hiccups... things get messy...

Yes, I typed a lot of buzzwords here, in hopes of feeding search results to save the next poor soul trying to debug something similar.

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post