Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Will they work?

Will they work?

Hello all. Kinda new to the forums. Been looking over them for the last few days. I'm really interested in getting the Caseta set up for our new house. We are in the process of building a home (with KB Home). KB will be installing a bunch of Seagull (can) down lights, model 14706S-15. Here's the link to the specs on the lights.

http://www.seagulllighting.com/42056...14701S-15.html

I've asked their tech support if those lights would be compatible with the
    PD-6WCL dimmer or if I would need to get the Lutron RD-5NE-WH, and they aren't sure if their lights work with either switch. I sent an email to Lutron to ask, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Obviously not in the home yet to test them, but I'd like to get all the switches ready to install when we move in. They will be installing around 4 lights per switch. I've read up already about the 3-way switches and understand that, but I'm just trying to figure out if it'll actually work and control like normal. I had almost every switch in our old house swapped out for the Maestro switches, but I would love to do this Caseta system.

Thanks for any help you an give.

Nathan

Did they tell you what kind of dimming they require? It wasn't on the spec sheet. I would venture to say the PD-10NXD or the new PD-5NE would be best because of the neutral wire for the dimmer. PD-10NXD for "forward phase" or "leading edge" and then the PD-5NE for "reverse phase" or "trailing edge". If they mention that they use a standard incandescent dimmer, go with the PD-10NXD for a single set and try it out.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Did they tell you what kind of dimming they require? It wasn't on the spec sheet. I would venture to say the PD-10NXD or the new PD-5NE would be best because of the neutral wire for the dimmer. PD-10NXD for "forward phase" or "leading edge" and then the PD-5NE for "reverse phase" or "trailing edge". If they mention that they use a standard incandescent dimmer, go with the PD-10NXD for a single set and try it out.

When I asked about using the PD-6WCL with the lights, the rep said:

Quote Quote
    I’m sorry to inform you of this but those items require an electronic low voltage (ELV) dimmer. The dimmer that you have is not compatible.

then I asked if using the new
    ELV Caseta Dimmers (PD-5NE) and he wrote back saying:

Quote Quote
    Use the Lutron Diva ELV and there will be no issues.

So I'm not really sure what my answer is here. I would guess because he said it requires an ELV, that the PD-5NE would work, but I'm not sure.

I can email back asking what type of dimming they require though. Is there a specific question to ask, or just ask him "what type of dimming do they require?" ?

Thanks for your help. I'm really looking forward to using Caseta but feel kinda bummed with their response.

The Diva is an "analog" dimmer for lack of a better term and does not have all the circuitry the "digital" maestro that forms the backbone for RA2 and Caseta. You should be fine using the PD-5NE, as it would be the ELV dimmer for Caseta. That being said, if it hasn't been tested by Lutron, then you may run into some issues. At first glance and with my experience, you should be fine. Emphasis is only partially tongue-in-cheek. Every once in a while something surprises me and doesn't work- that's why I never recommend WAC lighting when using anything digital from Lutron. As far as your fixture, only way to truly know is to try.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

The Diva is an "analog" dimmer for lack of a better term and does not have all the circuitry the "digital" maestro that forms the backbone for RA2 and Caseta.
    Yeah that's why I figured he didn't REALLY know what he was talking about...

You should be fine using the PD-5NE, as it would be the ELV dimmer for Caseta. That being said, if it hasn't been tested by Lutron, then you may run into some issues. At first glance and with my experience, you should be fine. Emphasis is only partially tongue-in-cheek. Every once in a while something surprises me and doesn't work- that's why I never recommend WAC lighting when using anything digital from Lutron. As far as your fixture, only way to truly know is to try.
    Ok thanks.

Looks like I'll just wait till I'm in the house and test it. I wonder if they would notice if I went in to the model home, turned a breaker off, replaced a switch and tested it... hmmm...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_ly7kzuvMQt1r4ibh3.jpg  

6. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    I have this very problem. @NathanJax, did PD-5NE end up working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanJax View Post
    Yeah that's why I figured he didn't REALLY know what he was talking about...

Ok thanks.

Looks like I'll just wait till I'm in the house and test it. I wonder if they would notice if I went in to the model home, turned a breaker off, replaced a switch and tested it... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by vovagalchenko View Post
    I have this very problem. @NathanJax, did PD-5NE end up working out for you?
    I decided to use just the on/off switch PD-6ANS so I don't know the answer... sorry