Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Pairing a caseta dimmer pro in a 3-way configuration with a mechanical switch/dimmer

Pairing a caseta dimmer pro in a 3-way configuration with a mechanical switch/dimmer

I'm thinking of pairing the caseta dimmer pro in a 3-way configuration with a maestro companion dimmer or companion switch. Does anyone know if either of these solutions will work?... if not, what would you recommend?

Install the Caseta dimmer pro switch in your switch location, and use the Pico remotes in your "companion" location, no wiring needed. You can have up to 10 Picos controlling each switch in a stand alone installation.

Quote Originally Posted by davisadm View Post
    Install the Caseta dimmer pro switch in your switch location, and use the Pico remotes in your "companion" location, no wiring needed. You can have up to 10 Picos controlling each switch in a stand alone installation.
    Yes, but I'm trying not to use a Pico to keep device count down, if not I will reach the 50 device limit pretty quick. That's why I'm going with the dimmer pro, so that I can pair it with a mechanical switch... Just trying to figure out the best option for that.

Thanks!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The Caseta Pro dimmer will not work with Maestro companion dimmers or switches. If you don't want to use a Pico at the other location you can leave your existing mechanical switch installed to reduce device count. The trade off is that you can't dim from that location.

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    The Caseta Pro dimmer will not work with Maestro companion dimmers or switches. If you don't want to use a Pico at the other location you can leave your existing mechanical switch installed to reduce device count. The trade off is that you can't dim from that location.
    So, with which Lutron switch will it work?... It's a new construction, so no switches installed yet. The original plans ware set with Maestro but I asked for caseta instead. Wiring is already in place.

So it's not possible to put in a mechanical dimmer on that second location?

Correct, you cannot use mechanical dimmer with the Caseta Pro dimmers. Just an on-off switch. Any standard mechanical switch will work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.32.59 PM.png  

8. Thanks Eric H., SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Is it possible to use two caseta pro dimmers on one 3-way circuit so that you'd have the ability to dim from both places? I think this is how Maestro behaves from an end user perspective. I'm less concerned about device count but rather just want a rock solid retrofitted 3-way setup (including neutral wires) for a core area of my house (without needing to use picos and change batteries for that circuit).

Quote Originally Posted by dconway View Post
    Is it possible to use two caseta pro dimmers on one 3-way circuit so that you'd have the ability to dim from both places? I think this is how Maestro behaves from an end user perspective. I'm less concerned about device count but rather just want a rock solid retrofitted 3-way setup (including neutral wires) for a core area of my house (without needing to use picos and change batteries for that circuit).
    No, this won't work- I've seen plenty of people try. You end up dimming the dimmer and Lutron dimmers need the full 120V. If you want to dim at both locations, you'll need the Pico.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_B View Post
    Yes, but I'm trying not to use a Pico to keep device count down, if not I will reach the 50 device limit pretty quick. That's why I'm going with the dimmer pro, so that I can pair it with a mechanical switch... Just trying to figure out the best option for that.

Thanks!
    Since this is already wired for Maestro, why not use Ra2 Select? Lots of threads regarding hitting the limit at 50 devices. RA2S goes to 100 devices, and CAN use the Maestro remote for multi-location dimming. Yes, RA2S costs more, but works the same as Caseta, same App, and access to more device types. I would highly suggest this path.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols