Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Using HWI keypad tips

Using HWI keypad tips

We finally got the go ahead to do the upgrade of a dead Series 4 processor setup to QS and I'm a bit nervous about reusing old HWI keypads and am looking for any kind of tips. These are wired keypads and I will be reusing the old power supply so I have a few seemingly random questions:

1. Is the 15 volt power to the old keypads polarized (ie. does it matter which wire is positive and negative).

2. Is there any functionality loss using the old keypads? In other words, can I do all the programming I could have done with a QS keypad?

3. How much work can I do prior to getting the "upgrade code" from Lutron? Really, this is the most confusing part - I know that I need a link translator and I know I need a code, but I'm not sure at what point I need to use the code. Also, is the code tied to the QS processor or in the software? If I ever change the QS processor will I need to get a new code? Is it possible to accidentally lose the code and be required to buy another one? At what point do I use the code?

Didn't realize I already had a thread open here. Please disregard one of them :)

We finally got the go ahead to do the upgrade of a dead Series 4 processor setup to QS and I'm a bit nervous about reusing old HWI keypads and am looking for any kind of tips. These are wired keypads and I will be reusing the old power supply so I have a few seemingly random questions:

1. Is the 15 volt power to the old keypads polarized (ie. does it matter which wire is positive and negative).
    YES

2. Is there any functionality loss using the old keypads? In other words, can I do all the programming I could have done with a QS keypad?
    Only thing you will loose is Backlit Intensity Option

3. How much work can I do prior to getting the "upgrade code" from Lutron? Really, this is the most confusing part
    You can do all programing ahead of time however when you want the link to work before transfer you need the code

- I know that I need a link translator and I know I need a code, but I'm not sure at what point I need to use the code.
    On your 1st upload

Also, is the code tied to the QS processor or in the software?
    Tied to Seriel # of processor

If I ever change the QS processor will I need to get a new code?
    No Lutron can transfer it for you to new processor

Is it possible to accidentally lose the code and be required to buy another one?
    No you can do it on the phone with tech support

4. Thanks Blair S., SparkyCoog, digit1 thanked for this post
    Likes SparkyCoog liked this post
    Thank you, that's perfect! I've got all my links setup and as soon as we get the parts and install them, I should be good to go!

6. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S. liked this post
    can Lutron please remove all this spam? I've been I've been reporting them for more than a week now. I really hope Lutron Internet of Things products are more secure than this