Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caseta Wireless For Fireplace ?

Any new updates

I know this is an old thread just wondering if anything has come out that would work for this off the shelf?

I am looking to do the same thing and will more than likely use a Lutron RR-15APS-1-SW Appliance Module. The Electric Fireplace unit -- essentially an appliance because it plugs into the wall like a refrigerator or other appliance -- is rated for a standard 120v outlet and the RR-15APS-1-SW is rated for 15A.

Add to this a keypad button and I can control the on/off from one of my existing keypads. I plan to control the actual fireplace settings using a Global Cache iTach device (https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/), more than likely an WF2IR because I do not have a network port by my install location. You can teach the WF2IR the IR codes from the fireplace remote and can connect the Global Cache device to any automation system.

If you set up a default setting on the fireplace, you don't even need the Global Cache device, you can simply use the RR-15APS-1-SW and program it to an existing keypad button.

I would not be doing any of this with an LP or natural gas fireplace. Ever.Or, you can be like normal folk and simply use the included fireplace remote control :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Privatedancer View Post
    @martopg: any issues with your setup now that you�ve been using it for a number of months? Thanks!

Sorry about the super-delayed reply. I tried replying a couple times previously and ran into issues with this forum software and then forgot about this until I had issues with my setup again. Funny how that works...

Short story: over the 5 years I've had this running, I've had two failures of the DC power adapter that was powering the relay. This is not at all unexpected because I used cheapo power bricks that were previously used and they were getting shoved into a high-heat environment.

The good news is that the Lutron lamp dimmer, which is - by far - the more expensive part of the setup, is still kicking and has not had any problems.

After the 2nd power supply failure, I found a product that actually makes this setup even easier: the Digital Loggers enclosed AC relay (Amazon link). You just plug this into the Lutron lamp dimmer and connect the fireplace switch wires to the output side; easy peasy.

Keep in mind that - even with the lamp dimmer configured to not dim - this scenario is likely not supported by Lutron since the lamp dimmer is designed strictly for lighting loads.
    If you want to do this more "by the book", you could get the Caseta Outdoor Smart Plug. While more expensive, the other benefit of doing that is that it's rated for a larger operating temperature range.

4. Thanks trinakas thanked for this post
    Likes trinakas liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123