Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caseta Wireless For Fireplace ?

One thing to watch for is the fact that the 5v AC/DC adapter apparently continues to supply juice to the relay after power has been cut. So it take about 5 seconds or so for the relay to open the circuit and turn off the fireplace. If the room is quiet enough you can hear the Elgato switch click off, and the fireplace will continue to burn for a few seconds while the relay is still getting current. This is expected, as it takes a little bit for DC adapters to lose power once they are disconnected from an AC source.

Just giving you the heads up so that you don't take the delay to mean it's not working, like I did the first time it happened. :-)

Very much appreciated!!

This sounds what I'm looking to do, but I'd also like to keep the wall switch in the loop to be a manual override if need be. Preferably, I'd like the wall switch to be required to be in the on position in order for the triggering of the relay to have any effect. Trying to think through how the wiring would work in a situation like that. anyone else set it up this way?

Quote Originally Posted by jjknob View Post
    This sounds what I'm looking to do, but I'd also like to keep the wall switch in the loop to be a manual override if need be. Preferably, I'd like the wall switch to be required to be in the on position in order for the triggering of the relay to have any effect. Trying to think through how the wiring would work in a situation like that. anyone else set it up this way?
    What you are describing is actually what I'm going to do. Instead of the Caseta plug-in dimmer plugged directly into the outlet under the fireplace, I'm going to run a properly gauged 25' extension cord up to where the switch is now, cut the cord in half and wire in a Caseta wall switch, then run the other half of the extension cord back down under the fireplace and continue as the previous thread described. This way I can a wall-accessible switch (mostly for my wife). Hope that helps you!

Thanks for the idea, that sounds doable potentially. I'm still very interested in trying to figure out how to wire it using the existing low voltage wiring/switch as well. Thanks for chiming in though, I'll keep it in mind!

Hi rdlink, let me know if you have any advice for a plan to leave the existing wall switch in place too as an alternate method to turn off the fireplace. I posed the question earlier but actually meant to reply directly to you. Not sure what happened. Anyhow, looking to leave the existing switch in place as an override both to completely disable any chance the device gets triggered when I don't want it to(i.e. summer) or as a quick kill switch type just in case.

Thanks for the SSR idea, it sounds ideal.

I looked into this a while back and like others noted that my fireplace was low voltage, was going to get the wink hub 2 and one of those remote/Bluetooth rocker controllers that sticks onto the faceplate but ultimately moved and just bought the remote kit for the fireplace.

Is there a way to connect a Lutron Caseta wall switch underneath the fireplace (can I use the outlets under there to somehow power the switch since there's no neutral, etc?), and then I can just put a pico remote where the wall switch currently is? Just trying to understand what I could do to hook up that switch underneath the fireplace.

ssr opto 22 dc60s5 not working for millivolt fireplace

Quote Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
    I'm not an electrical engineer or an electrician, but I think the reason is that all the 5V relay does is provide current. It doesn't close the circuit, which is what you're looking to do.

The relay, when powered by the 5V adapter actually closes the circuit, which is what you need to make the fireplace work. So let's look at it this way: If I cut the wires from the wall switch, and touch the negative and positive leads of a 5v battery to each of them nothing will happen. But if I cut the wires from the switch, and just touch them together the fireplace will light, because the act of touching the wires closes the circuit to the fireplace, which already has the power it needs to light. The 5V current from the adapter is what is needed to trip the relay to automatically close the circuit.

I was never able to get it working exactly like the OP's. I am not sure whether it was because the relay he used needed something I wasn't giving it, or if I was doing something minor wrong. But I ended up buying the following items, and hooking them up. I plugged the Elgato switch into the receptacle. I plugged the AC/DC adapter into the Elgato switch. Then I ran a couple of small gauge wires from the LED light adapter tip of the AC/DC adapter to the relay, and hooked the wires that I had cut from the switch into the other side of the relay. It works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got the opto 22 ssr relay to turn on my millivolt gaz fireplace and it does not work; i have an ac/dc adapter 5v as control ad the 2 wires rom te fireplace wall switch on output and it des not work; I thought maybe millivolt is too small and tested on other circuits with 1 or multiple 1.5v batteries but still dos not work. Is the ssr bad? or a I doing something wrong? should it work with millivolt fireplace?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
    I'm not an electrical engineer or an electrician, but I think the reason is that all the 5V relay does is provide current. It doesn't close the circuit, which is what you're looking to do.

The relay, when powered by the 5V adapter actually closes the circuit, which is what you need to make the fireplace work. So let's look at it this way: If I cut the wires from the wall switch, and touch the negative and positive leads of a 5v battery to each of them nothing will happen. But if I cut the wires from the switch, and just touch them together the fireplace will light, because the act of touching the wires closes the circuit to the fireplace, which already has the power it needs to light. The 5V current from the adapter is what is needed to trip the relay to automatically close the circuit.

I was never able to get it working exactly like the OP's. I am not sure whether it was because the relay he used needed something I wasn't giving it, or if I was doing something minor wrong. But I ended up buying the following items, and hooking them up. I plugged the Elgato switch into the receptacle. I plugged the AC/DC adapter into the Elgato switch. Then I ran a couple of small gauge wires from the LED light adapter tip of the AC/DC adapter to the relay, and hooked the wires that I had cut from the switch into the other side of the relay. It works like a charm.

i got the opto 22 ssr relay to turn on my millivolt gaz fireplace and it does not work; i have an ac/dc adapter 5v as control ad the 2 wires rom te fireplace wall switch on output and it des not work; I thought maybe millivolt is too small and tested on other circuits with 1 or multiple 1.5v batteries but still dos not work. Is the ssr bad? or a I doing something wrong? should it work with millivolt fireplace?

No issues?

@martopg: any issues with your setup now that you’ve been using it for a number of months? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast