Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dimming lights flicker Cree CR6 6" Downlight

Dimming lights flicker Cree CR6 6" Downlight

Hello, I have (4) Cree CR6 downlights in a bedroom that flickers when the lights are dimmed. I cannot tell if it flickers when its at 100% since its so bright. It happens only when its dimmed and especially noticeable at lower levels. The lights will continuous go lower and higher in output if i leave it at dimmed levels. I have a Lutron Caseta Dimmer installed as the wall switch. I have 2 other sets of (3) CR 6 downlight on 1 Caseta Dimmer switch and they work perfectly fine. All 3 rooms have the same light and dimmer. Any help? Do I have a defective dimmer or downlight?

They are both very reliable products but I would lean toward the Cree trims as the problem. It may also be a shared neutral between the lights that flicker and the lights that don't. Years ago Cree wanted a dedicated neutral to each set of lights. What happens or used to happen was when one set was dimmed to exactly the right level another set would flicker because of noise on the neutral. An extra neutral isolated to the panel would fix this. If you play with the light levels of all sets you may find the perfect balance where the flicker occurs but if the other lights are at a different level there is no flicker. I would start by removing on led at a time until the flicker disappears then try replacing the offending led. Good luck it's a frustrating problem to solve.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeetal View Post
    They are both very reliable products but I would lean toward the Cree trims as the problem. It may also be a shared neutral between the lights that flicker and the lights that don't. Years ago Cree wanted a dedicated neutral to each set of lights. What happens or used to happen was when one set was dimmed to exactly the right level another set would flicker because of noise on the neutral. An extra neutral isolated to the panel would fix this. If you play with the light levels of all sets you may find the perfect balance where the flicker occurs but if the other lights are at a different level there is no flicker. I would start by removing on led at a time until the flicker disappears then try replacing the offending led. Good luck it's a frustrating problem to solve.
    They dont sell CR6 in retails anymore so I might just have to replace all of them... I can still get it on amazon for $35. If that is even the issue.

They changed the model number, a little redesigned.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-65W-...1-11/207192774
    Less than $20.00 from home depot.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.