Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Home

Google Home

Are there any plans to integrate with the new Google Home device?

2. Likes domino, drhill, J-rad, tabraham liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by notdave View Post
    I'll second this question. I was surprised Google didn't have Wink integration, though Wink is hinting about things (better not be just for their new v2 hub). I like my Echo and two dot setup, but Alexa is horrible for questions or as an assistant (since I use all Google stuff anyway) compared to even the current Google Now on phones/tablets.

Lutron support is the biggie and I'd rather not do it via Wink (if they add support) because of the Harmony Hub in my theater works with my Lutron lights down there. Harmony Hub would work via what I currently have which is a Hue Hub emulator (ha-bridge) though native would help. That leaves my thermostat (would work via Wink if supported) and my z-wave fan switches (Wink again... since Lutron doesn't care about caseta fans). I suppose there is my sprinkler system, but who really needs to do that by voice... That just leaves the mess that is Sonos, which Google already supports on Android in Google Play Music (which is all I use).

Quote Originally Posted by notdave View Post
    Also would like to know what the plans are.

I am trying to decide between the Amazon Echo and the Google Home. I would like to know if there are plans to support the Home.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Lutron will continue to integrate with best-in-class brands, however, we don't publicly discuss future product developments and roadmaps, so stay tuned everyone.

Very useful information (NOT)!

What bothers me most about this is I was able to use Google now on my phone to operate my Lutron switches. All of a sudden that stopped working. I mentioned it to Lutron and they said their was an issue and Google was aware of it. Now I own the Google home and it doesn't work. How can they not release it with something they had working perfectly about two months ago?

While this is annoyingly unannounced so far... I was able to get the SmartThings to work with the Lutron Bridge running this on my ubuntu server :
    https://github.com/njschwartz/Lutron-Smart-Pi

I was able to get the GHome to work with IFTTT. But due to the nature of the Caseta service applet, I had to create one IFTTT app for turning a room on, and a separate one for off. Same could be done for a Scene. Rather than dropdown list to pick room/scene, this needs to accept a variable. My Siri works just find, and no programming like the GHome.

FYI, to go along with the Smartthing capabilities added weeks ago (which added Google Home capabilities via that integration) Lutron added native Google Home capabilities today. No scene control, but you can ask the home about light status. That's nice. Thanks Lutron.

Home has "room" designations if you want to use them. It only allows one room per switch so they aren't "groups". Meaning you can't have a light in "family room", as well as "downstairs", and "inside". I got around that by setting up a virtual switch in Smartthings for "Inside" but using the "downstairs" room in Home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast