Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buzzing noise at GFCI outlet

Buzzing noise at GFCI outlet

I have installed the dimmer switch and it works as designed, however, I am hearing a buzzing noise at the GFCI outlet when the dimmer switch is turned on. This buzzing noise was not present with the previous standard switch.

It sounds like the dimmer is controlling the GFCI. You can not dim a gfci. You have to change the breaker to a gfci breaker or use another method to put the gfci protection before the dimmer in the circuit. However you should never dim any outlet. Best way to destroy stuff and possibly cause fires.

The GFCI outlet is located in my garage. The dimmer switch, which is controlling my porch lights (not the GFCI outlet) is inside my house by my front door. The GFCI outlet was installed a few years ago when we added two post lights, which are controlled by the same light switch. Are you saying that this product won't work for us? I would like to purchase another dimmer to control my kitchen lights, but now I am hesitant and about to return everything back.

It is hard to tell exactly how this is all wired up. Sounds like the dimmer was either miss wired and is dimming the gfci or the gfci noise is totally unrealted.

I don't believe it is wired incorrectly. I have 2 black wires and a ground coming from the wall. According to the instructions, it does not matter what black wires gets attached to the two black wires coming out of the dimmer switch. I removed the switch and replaced it with the old toggle switch and it works fine (no buzzing at the gfci outlet). I will try the Lutron "in-wall neutral switch" instead of the dimmer to see if that works.

when the old toggle switch is in the wall does it turn off the power to the GFCI that buzzes?
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Crap it does! That sounds bad. What should I do? Can I replace the gfci with a regular outlet or is that not recommended? Will the in-wall neutral switch work?

"You have to change the breaker to a gfci breaker or use another method to put the gfci protection before the dimmer in the circuit."
    Changing the breaker to a GFCI breaker is likely the easiest fix. Then a regular outlet could be used instead of the GFCI.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Or, will the non-dimmer switch work? It sounds like the dimmer feature is what is causing the buzzing (dimmer can not control gfci outlet).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ca...S-WH/206610486

Sorry I am doing to many things at once. Even when you move the gfci protection to ahead of the outlet in the garage you will still be dimming an outlet which will be a problem. Using a neutral switch will help but could still be an issue if the total load of the lights and what ever is plugged into the garage outlet is greater than 6 amps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast