Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What switch to use for dishwasher. Won't work for me.

What switch to use for dishwasher. Won't work for me.

Hello,

I installed the PD?6ANS today. This switch is used to turn on and off the dishwasher. Problem is it didn't work. The LED on the switch didn't light up or anything. It tripped the breaker and it wouldn't let me reset it. I'm thinking it is something to do with the current required and maybe this switch isn't providing enough power.

I put the original rocker switch back in and it works fine no issues.

Doubled checked the connections. Everything is connected correctly. Anyone know what would cause this to not function??

Thanks.

That switch is only rated for 6 amps. The dishwasher draws much more. I described how to setup a relay for a garbage disposal using a Caseta switch in another thread. When I have time will also post a litttle diagram of how the wiring will work. But I am wondering why you want to use a Caseta switch to turn on and off your dishwasher....

Hi Lukeetal,

Ok so in our kitchen we have a three switch panel on the wall directly behind the island. The builder has a switch that turns on and off the dishwasher (I have no idea why). Also, right next to the switch is the control for the garbage disposal. The 3rd and last switch control a light above the island. So mistake the switch for the dishwasher and you turn on the disposal. Not good.

I would like to make it safer to operate the disposal and also automate power to the dishwasher. Hopefully, that makes sense let me know if you have any questions.

A diagram would be awesome. I am much better looking at pictures that trying to figure out with words.

Here is a quick sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caseta Relay.png  
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

5. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Just lose the wall switches entirely. Bypass them both. I would not bother adding automation to either one of them.

Run power straight to the dishwasher, that's how it's supposed to be connected.

Put an outlet in-between the disposal and the wire coming through the cabinet to it. Put in an air switch to control the disposal and a hole in the counter for it.

For appearance sake, use the two now-defunct wall positions with some Pico remotes mounted with some PICO-WBX-ADAPT brackets. They'll fit right into a Decora-style switch postion. Even prettier if the wall plate uses a Claro model.