Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Replacement transformer for series 4 processor?

Replacement transformer for series 4 processor?

Anybody know what type of 12 volt transformer (the one with the butt end connectors) the series 4 requires (wattage, etc).

Also, if the transformer is dead, does the 15 volt link 6 backfeed into the 12 volt link? I tested a dead 4 series yesterday and at the time thought the transformers were good because the top one was feeding the keypads and I was getting 15 volts in the bottom one but now I see that it's really 12 volts so I just want to rule out that for sure the processor is dead before giving the customer a very very bad news.

Hello SparkyCoog,
    Thank you for your post.
    The part number for the transformer is 163-318. This will provide the 12vac to the processor to power it up. Links 6 and 8 get power from the plug in transformer. The 15v should not back feed into the processor. It would seem based off your testing that the processor would need to be replaced. Give us a call with the date code on the processor and we can check the warranty status and possibly get a replacement sent out for your client.

Thank you for the response. I guess I'm confused because it's listed to be 12 volts and I was getting 15 volts. Is it normal for the transformer to provide 15 volts? I know that the keypad link and the RF link power are listed as 15.

Also, Does link 6 get all its power from the plug-in transformer or is it only after a certain number of keypads/LED's is exceeded that it needs the boost? I'm asking because I want to know which transformer to use to power the keypads if I upgrade them to QS (which of course uses a different voltage). Currently, there are 17 see-touch keypads which I believe count as 15 LED's and the plug-in power supply is 3 amps. I believe 3 amps is enough, but looking at my old books, none of the plug-in power supplies were listed as 3 amps so I don't know if the original installer used a 3rd party power supply or an official one exists.

Also, FYI, I did give the 3 digit code to the tech support person and he told me it was out of warranty which is fair enough, but to my absolute shock, he told me that there was no way to send it in for repair to preserve the programming and to my absolute dismay, I was told that I couldn't even BUY a new one. When Homeworks QS came out around 5 years ago, we were told that we would continue to get support for at least 10 years so I'm not sure why you would not sell series 4 processors.

To the customer, if there was an option to send the processor for repair, this would be a less than $1000 repair for the customer. If there was an option to buy a new replacement Series 4 processor, this would be a less than $3000 repair to the customer as I would have to reprogram the entire system from scratch. Forcing a customer with a 7 year old system to upgrade the entire system (in this case, only the keypads are compatible as none of the wireless or wall mount power modules are compatible) would be the price of a car that they are suddenly have to spend. Just seems like bad business to strong arm customers like this when there is no technical reason for it and they've been happy with their existing system and they will likely not want to have anything to do with Lutron after this. I have not heard back from them after giving them the quote and for all I know, they think they are being scammed.

Hi Sparky.

The built-in transformer of a HWI-LV24 panel should supply 12VAC with at least 30W to power the 4 series P5 processor. The plug-in power supply should be a 15VDC 900mA transformer, which powers 150 LEDs on the links 6/8. Those two line feeds have nothing to do with each other (12VAC vs 15VDC!) and are not some kind of backup or boost. MAYBE the Lutron plug-in transformer can be replaced by a stronger 3rd party transformer to power your current 17 see-touch keypads setup. That would explain a 3 amp DC transformer.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harricane View Post
    Hi Sparky.

The built-in transformer of a HWI-LV24 panel should supply 12VAC with at least 30W to power the 4 series P5 processor. The plug-in power supply should be a 15VDC 900mA transformer, which powers 150 LEDs on the links 6/8. Those two line feeds have nothing to do with each other (12VAC vs 15VDC!) and are not some kind of backup or boost. MAYBE the Lutron plug-in transformer can be replaced by a stronger 3rd party transformer to power your current 17 see-touch keypads setup. That would explain a 3 amp DC transformer.

Harry
    Thank you! To be honest, I think the transformer for the HWI-LV24 was a third party transformer too as it was not in the housing on the left and was screwed in with wirenuts and such. Do you think it's possible that it was the wrong transformer and the extra 3 volts killed the processor over time? I should mention that this was a spec home and the rest of the system was built rather poorly too as the original installer didn't even bother putting label stickers on the keypads and only had a taped print out on the side so I bet they took every shortcut they could take.

So do I get it right - there are 2 transformers installed which both supply 15V - one AC (processor) one DC (keypads)? And the processor is 'dead' meaning the 'proc power' LED does not turn on?
    15VAC could have worked for some time, but ie. if there would be a power surge and the original transformers 12VAC rises to 15VAC that can be ok, but if the already high 15VAC rises to 18VAC that could have killed the processor...
    Getting the original transformer 163-318 and a 2nd hand processor could be a cheap fix concerning hardware, if thats an option.

After reviewing the matter, I have to admit that Lutron's documentation is quite inconsistent :-/

1) 4 Series Processors have imprinted on their cover 12VAC, same goes for it's installation instructions Rev.A (US 2005 and CE 2006 versions)
    2) the US TRG Rev.H 2008 says 24VAC
    2) the CE TRG Rev.H 2009 says 15-24VAC

I would stick to 12VAC, but obviously only tech support should know for real...

Quote Originally Posted by harricane View Post
    After reviewing the matter, I have to admit that Lutron's documentation is quite inconsistent :-/

1) 4 Series Processors have imprinted on their cover 12VAC, same goes for it's installation instructions Rev.A (US 2005 and CE 2006 versions)
    2) the US TRG Rev.H 2008 says 24VAC
    2) the CE TRG Rev.H 2009 says 15-24VAC

I would stick to 12VAC, but obviously only tech support should know for real...
    Well it turns out we WILL be doing the upgrade to QS! I just hope reusing the HWI keypads is not too painful (still not 100% sure how the unlock code and activation works) .