Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Intermittent Flicker on Lutron dimmers...

Intermittent Flicker on Lutron dimmers...

Hello,

So I'm looking for some advice. We recently put in six 4" LED recessed lights from lithonia (the LK4GMW LED M4). The kit recommended the Maestro MAW-600H and the Diva DV-600PR-WH incandescent dimmers as compatible dimmers, both of which we've tried. Unfortunately, intermittently, all of the lights will start to flicker. Turning the dimmer down can stop the flicker, but the flickering has happened at almost every dimmer setting. I don't think it's an issue on the whole circuit since we haven't seen the same issue on any other lights on the same circuit. Tonight I switched the dimmer for a straight up on/off switch make sure. We'll see what happens.

The circuit has power coming into a junction box from which a switch loop is run. The switch loop is connected to the lights by two runs, three lights per run.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really would like these to be dimmable and I suspect the lights are at issue, but I'm loathe to spend $150 or $200 or more on a new set of LED modules.

Thanks,
    Ricky

Administrator
    Hello Ricky,

I am thinking it may be one of two scenarios. The first simply being a compatibility issue. We have not tested these LED's, so we are unable to guarantee performance with any of our dimming controls.

The other option is that you are seeing a neutral interaction. Is there another dimmed circuit that shares a neutral with the circuit that is giving you a problem? Does the flickering occur when another circuit is being dimmed? If so it could be neutral interaction.

The dimmers I've used were specifically recommended by the lighting manufacturer, so I hope it's not a compatibility issue. (See the technical spec. at https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Lith...Spec-Sheet.pdf ).

To test the debuzzing coil, Do I size the coil with the actual draw from the lights (a little less than 60W) or for the same size as the dimmer, or 600W?

-Ricky

Administrator
    Hello Ricky,

I apologize for the delayed response. You would want to rate a debuzzing coil for the load you are controlling. I wouldn't suggest going this route as it is not likely to solve the issue.

The dimmers suggested are not LED rated dimmers, so that may be part of the issue. Again without having tested these fixtures, we are unable to guarantee which dimmers would work.

Are you able to add an incandescent or halogen bulb to the circuit? This almost always stabilizes the circuit and eliminates the flickering that is caused from compatibility issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rfielding View Post
    The dimmers I've used were specifically recommended by the lighting manufacturer, so I hope it's not a compatibility issue. (See the technical spec. at https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Lith...Spec-Sheet.pdf ).
    Most manufacturers that "test" a dimmer usually just use a small set up and plug the dimmer in, run it up and down, and call it good. We were selling some lightbars that depending on the length required different dimmers. Your best bet is to look at Lutron's approved list and go from there- picking an LED based on the dimmer you'd like to use. This is the best way to ensure compatibility. Side note- Lutron does not charge for this testing, just part of their customer service to ensure best performance for your home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rfielding View Post
    Most manufacturers that "test" a dimmer usually just use a small set up and plug the dimmer in, run it up and down, and call it good. We were selling some lightbars that depending on the length required different dimmers. Your best bet is to look at Lutron's approved list and go from there- picking an LED based on the dimmer you'd like to use. This is the best way to ensure compatibility. Side note- Lutron does not charge for this testing, just part of their customer service to ensure best performance for your home.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols