Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using iOS 10 HomeKit Automation to trigger Lutron scenes (via a switch or a Pico)

Quote Originally Posted by picree View Post
    Sorry to keep talking to myself but after a couple of hours the Apple TV "forgets" and the triggers quit working. Restarting the Apple TV fixes this. Anyone have any suggestions? My Apple TV is set to never sleep so it isn't that...
    I noticed I need to reboot the Apple TV for new HomeKit automations to start to work. I have not noticed that it stops working yet but I will try to replicate this.

Well, after restarting the Apple TV the automation does work...for a while. At some point they just quit working. But then, mysteriously a day or so later they start working again on their own! I did notice my iCloud keychain had somehow picked up that stupid unsecured xfinitywifi network and, while at home my iPhones were randomly switching off my home wifi and trying to connect to xfinity which was messing up HomeKit control from the iPhones. I deleted that from my iCloud keychain so the phones are now more reliable but that doesn't seem to have fixed the start/stop of the HomeKit Automations.

The only other thing I can think of is our iMac (which is on the same wifi) is running Yosemite (soon to upgrade). Any thoughts? Anyone have this working reliably?
    Lutron Caseta System 2 Hub, 50 devices, iPhone X, iOS 12, Apple TV 4 tvOS 12, Home iOS App, Eve iOS App

How is the connectivity to the Apple TV? I think there is a Speedtest app now for Apple TV 4. Is the Apple TV wired or wirelessly connected.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

The Apple TV is connected via wifi but I don't think that is it. That app said something like 7 Mbps. An Apple TV restart immediately reinstates the Triggers and Automation. By asking that question can I assume you have this working with no problems? Have you ever seen it stop working?
    Lutron Caseta System 2 Hub, 50 devices, iPhone X, iOS 12, Apple TV 4 tvOS 12, Home iOS App, Eve iOS App

Quote Originally Posted by picree View Post
    The Apple TV is connected via wifi but I don't think that is it. That app said something like 7 Mbps. An Apple TV restart immediately reinstates the Triggers and Automation. By asking that question can I assume you have this working with no problems? Have you ever seen it stop working?
    I only set the automation up a few days ago but it is still working 2 days later. Was your download 7mbps or 7 Mbps? What is the speed your ISP gives you? I have my apple tv wired so, yes, I am wondering if the apple tv is loosing connection. Either from wifi noise or weak signal.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

It is 7 Mbps. 7 million bits per second. CenturyLink promises 10 MBps. I appreciate the fact that you are the only one willing to dialog on this. Realize the HomeKit protocol could transfer data on an old 14.4K modem and be fine. That would, of course be 0.0144 million bits per second. It may be that the Apple TV is loosing connection...intermittently but we stream Netflix all the time just fine. The HomeKit protocol should be able to handle the error correction in Wifi which means the Automation might be delayed but not dropped entirely. It's not that the automation works slow. It never works. A restart of the Apple TV most always fixes the situation.

BTW, it is a full five-bar signal strength.

My automations still to work since setup on 9/28. I have noticed a delay in updating the HomeKit app. I turn on the light that triggers the automation,then switch apps to see a camera in the space and the automation has already taken place. It seems like the HomeKit app takes 15-30 seconds to update when it hasn't be used in a while. This is the closest I have seen to an issue so far. I have tried a half dozen to a dozen times so far remotely and still can't reproduce. I agree it doesn't sound like connectivity to Apple TV. Not sure what else it could be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12