Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New to Lutron systems - seeking advise

New to Lutron systems - seeking advise

Hi All,

I recently joined the forum to get some assistance/advise. I am a first-time homeowner and have done some renovation projects on my house. One of my last projects is to upgrade our downstairs lighting systems to make it "smart." That is, I would like for the lights to be voice controlled through Amazon's echo device. I have done some research and I think Lutron is the best system for my needs.

I've already got LED bulbs throughout the house--these aren't smart bulbs or anything. I am looking for switches that will allow me to control certain groups of lights (e.g., dining room lights, kitchen lights, living room lights). The question I have regarding this:

1) Should I go with the RadioRA2 over the Caseta? From what I've seen on the website, the RadioRA2 is compatible with Amazon echo.
    2) Most of my current light switch boxes pannels comprise of two switches that control separate lights. Do I simply buy two Lutron switches and replace those current switches?
    3) My living room lights are controlled by two switches, one on either end of the room. How should I go about installing a Lutron light switch for my living room?

I know there is likely already a thread for this but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance for the tips/patience.

and to clarify, the light switches in the living room on both ends are also part of clusters of 2 and 3 light switches

Quote Originally Posted by xphongnguyenx View Post
    1) Should I go with the RadioRA2 over the Caseta? From what I've seen on the website, the RadioRA2 is compatible with Amazon echo.
    Depends on how much you want to do with your lighting. One of the main advantages to RA2 is the keypads (with custom button engraving). RA2 will get you more options, flexibility and device types, but is more expensive. And as an individual (not a dealer), you'll need to take the free, online training courses and pass the open-book exam to gain access to the programming software. The training is good and doesn't take any longer than it should, so don't let that discourage you from choosing the system.

And while Amazon Echo support is coming soon, it's not available yet (hopefully by end of the year?), but was announced back in September...

Quote Quote
    2) Most of my current light switch boxes pannels comprise of two switches that control separate lights. Do I simply buy two Lutron switches and replace those current switches?
    Yes, and you'll probably want to swap out any other switches in the same location with decora-style paddle switches so they match and easily work with multi-gang faceplates.

Quote Quote
    3) My living room lights are controlled by two switches, one on either end of the room. How should I go about installing a Lutron light switch for my living room?
    RA2 has an inexpensive 'dummy' dimmer (RD-RD) for dealing with 3-way (or more) switch locations.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Start with understanding that not all LED lighting is created equal. Some just will not dim effectively. This is not the fault of the dimmer, but the design of the lighting itself. My first bit of advice is find your LED lighting model numbers and check that they've been tested. If you don't see yours listed, call and ask.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-...merMatrix.aspx

RA2 has a higher price-point at the start but will allow more devices in a single project. That and RA2 has a few more device options like table dimmers, motion sensors, thermostats, etc.

With traditional 3-way lighting one of the switch locations has wire that goes UP to the light. That's the load side. You'll need to put a dimmer in that location. At the other location you put a RD-RD 'remote dimmer'.

That and once you have a setup going you can add a Pico wireless remote anywhere that'd be convenient. Like on a pedestal or even a whole 'fake' wall plate. I have some setup next to bunkbeds to allow light and fan control, all in a two-gang Claro wallplate with 2 Pico remotes.

Your first step might be to find a local lighting integrator that can help you choose which system is right for your whole-house needs. There's a lot of "little things" that an integrator will have learned (through training and experience) that can help design the right kind of setup for you. Nothing's stopping you from learning all that yourself, of course, but there's a LOT OF IT.

5. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jautor View Post
    Depends on how much you want to do with your lighting. One of the main advantages to RA2 is the keypads (with custom button engraving). RA2 will get you more options, flexibility and device types, but is more expensive. And as an individual (not a dealer), you'll need to take the free, online training courses and pass the open-book exam to gain access to the programming software. The training is good and doesn't take any longer than it should, so don't let that discourage you from choosing the system.

And while Amazon Echo support is coming soon, it's not available yet (hopefully by end of the year?), but was announced back in September...

Yes, and you'll probably want to swap out any other switches in the same location with decora-style paddle switches so they match and easily work with multi-gang faceplates.

RA2 has an inexpensive 'dummy' dimmer (RD-RD) for dealing with 3-way (or more) switch locations.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
    Thanks for the input!

- - - Updated - - -

Much appreciated.