Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-post (fixed error): New Pick-style Dimmer Switch for Caseta!

Re-post (fixed error): New Pick-style Dimmer Switch for Caseta!

(previous post was not working because of the "é" in the title!!!)

Just picked up the news over in the RA2 forum yesterday:

What’s New Brochure

Coming end of 2016: the Wireless ELV+ dimmer for Caséta. Mirrors the look and function of the Pico 5-button remote, including preset button.

No word about any other new functionality like adjustable fade rate or remembering previous "on" level, but the preset button somewhat takes care of this one.

• Works with all load types
    • 500W INC/HAL/ELV
    • 400W MLV
    • 250W LED
    • Has a “Favorite” button (matches the Pico® remote control)
    • Works with the Pico for 3-way and multi-location applications
    • Neutral required
    • 10W minimum load

2. Thanks Lukeetal thanked for this post
    This sux. I just replaced all my Maestros with Caseta dimmers and had to add picos for favorite or scenes. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurum View Post
    This sux. I just replaced all my Maestros with Caseta dimmers and had to add picos for favorite or scenes. Oh well.
    My guess is the favorite button will only apply to the dimmer it belongs to, so it won't be able to call scenes from multiple devices. (so maybe all is not lost)

I wish each dimmer COULD act as a remote though, it would dramatically reduce the number of switches and Picos necessary in the setup!

Great that they have finally caught up to our what 2-3 year old suggestion about adding the favourite button. (but, ouch neutral required)

And no mention of any Fan / Light combos, meaning we are what at least a year away from that. but hey I can control my sonos I don't own.

Caséta® Wireless ELV+ dimmer:

Is there a part number for this yet? Does anyone know the release date? Since a neutral is required, will this have a better lower range for dimming LEDs (very important)? The current caseta dimmer is crippled in this way.

I'm interested in this part for better lower range dimming on LEDs but also the round pico-like preset creates more uniformity between sites and is easier in the dark. There should be a key kit to let user switch between preset and flat but default should be the same as the pico.

Concerning the preset button, I was able to modify the standard caseta dimmer to include this button by soldering in a switch (same as the others that lutron uses) and then replacing the center buttons with those of a pico. The circuit board already has the location for the switch, but they didn't populate it. The cost to do this is a about 20 minutes, a switch and a pico. Much better if user only has to swap a key kit.

Quote Originally Posted by plazma View Post
    Concerning the preset button, I was able to modify the standard caseta dimmer to include this button by soldering in a switch (same as the others that lutron uses) and then replacing the center buttons with those of a pico. The circuit board already has the location for the switch, but they didn't populate it. The cost to do this is a about 20 minutes, a switch and a pico. Much better if user only has to swap a key kit.
    Wow! OK, this requires a dedicated post with more explanation if you can spare the time. Pictures would be great, too. Thanks!

Caséta® Wireless ELV+ dimmer:

Is there a part number for this yet? Does anyone know the release date? Since a neutral is required, will this have a better lower range for dimming LEDs (very important)? The current caseta dimmer is crippled in this way.
    The part number is PD-5NE, there's even some specs on the technical documents page. I had planned to purchase more dimmers but I guess I'll wait to see if LED dimming is improved with this new switch.

Modifying the PD-6WCL to have preset button

Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    Wow! OK, this requires a dedicated post with more explanation if you can spare the time. Pictures would be great, too. Thanks!
    A PD-6WCL can be modified by swapping buttons with pico. It requires some manipulation of the buttons at the corners and adding some thickness behind the original pico buttons. A switch needs to be soldered in place. Attached pictures. The new dimmer looks to have the preset already and would be easy to remove it if not wanted. When I need to do the next one I could show the steps that result in both dimmer and pico working correctly. Pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender.jpg   IMG_4046.JPG  

A PD-6WCL can be modified by swapping buttons with pico. It requires some manipulation of the buttons at the corners and adding some thickness behind the original pico buttons. A switch needs to be soldered in place. Attached pictures. The new dimmer looks to have the preset already and would be easy to remove it if not wanted. When I need to do the next one I could show the steps that result in both dimmer and pico working correctly. Pictures attached.
    Here is the manual for the new dimmer and the preset is there.

http://www.casetawireless.com/Documents/0301816a.pdf

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Products.aspx

The product page now shows the PD-5NE but none of the vendors from the shop link carry it. Does anyone know if these are available yet and where? The price looks to be twice as much as the PD-6WCL but I haven't found any information yet on what the difference is. I am guessing that the dimmer is better on the low range due to requirement for the neutral. If anyone has any technical information on performance difference between the two dimmers, please post. For twice the price it may be quite a performer! Lower end dimmer would be well worth it. Plus a preset is a good option and can remove it if not wanted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast