Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS 10 - Home app. PICO remotes are missing

iOS 10 - Home app. PICO remotes are missing

The new Home app in iOS is pretty great. I can now control my Lutron Caseta switches and Philips Hue lights from within the same app.

One big missing feature is the ability to set PICO remotes as accessories in the Home app, and be able to use the Home app's automation function to add actions to PICO remotes. This would be a hug improvement and would allow PICO to become a physical controller/remote for any HomeKit products. Would make Caseta a must have in any HomeKit setup :)

Quote Originally Posted by giacino View Post
    The new Home app in iOS is pretty great. I can now control my Lutron Caseta switches and Philips Hue lights from within the same app.

One big missing feature is the ability to set PICO remotes as accessories in the Home app, and be able to use the Home app's automation function to add actions to PICO remotes. This would be a hug improvement and would allow PICO to become a physical controller/remote for any HomeKit products. Would make Caseta a must have in any HomeKit setup :)
    I completely agree with you and want this feature added so badly. I'm currently using a discontinued Staples Connect to achieve this which sucks because Eve outlet switches, which are HomeKit compatible, are too new for the Staples Connect and I have to turn of my Hue bulbs using the Pico remote and then using Siri to turn of the Eve switches, I wish I could do it all with the Pico remote.

HomeKit's Home app is not going to get Picos or Taps any time soon. But you can see it all in one app - Caseta dimmers and switches, Pico remotes, Hue bulbs, as well as Hue taps - if you add them to the HomeSense app.

I tried the HomeSense app but the point of having the Pico remote work with HomeKit as an accessory is so I don't have to use an app. This is the only reason I have stuck with Staples Connect hub which I cannot wait to drop.

I am currently considering adding the new Logitech Pop button (3 clicks option). with its bridge it can connect to Lutron Caseta directly, to Logitech Harmony (and Lutron Caseta), and to HomeKit (and Lutron Caseta).

I guess it is recognized as an accessory in Homekit. But I haven't confirmed it yet. And if so, it could be a possible solution to add physical remotes to HomeKit.

Strange that there are not many options at there. Are they all moving to voice control?

Angry

I am currently considering adding the new Logitech Pop button (3 clicks option). with its bridge it can connect to Lutron Caseta directly, to Logitech Harmony (and Lutron Caseta), and to HomeKit (and Lutron Caseta).

I guess it is recognized as an accessory in Homekit. But I haven't confirmed it yet. And if so, it could be a possible solution to add physical remotes to HomeKit.
    I would hate to use Pop as they seem really big and can only do 3 functions via one button.

Strange that there are not many options at there. Are they all moving to voice control?
    I also find it strange and annoying. I prefer Pico remotes over having to ask Siri to do things, and I always have my Apple Watch on my wrist! It's just easier to press a button on a Pico remote which you can place anywhere in a room!

i am waiting for this Lutron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally found a solution to my problem, and that was switching to HomeSeer which allowed me control my Serena shades, Philips Hue lights and zwave devices all using my Pico remotes. The flexibility this system allows is amazing, I don't think HomeKit will ever allow for this level of customization. I consider HomeSeer a step above SmartThings in complexity and flexibility but not so complicated I could figure out. I did get a Lutron Smart Bridge Pro 2 so this may be a factor in the ease of use but it was beyond worth it. Here are a few things I can do with a few of my picos:

1. Pico on my desk:
    Press On: Turns on my monitors.
    Press On a 2nd time: Turns on my speakers
    Press On a 3rd time: Turns off my speakers

Press Raise: Turns on my Nespresso machine in the kitchen
    Press Raise a 2nd time: Turns off my Nespresso machine

Press Favorite Button: Dims all my lights, turns off speakers, lowers all the blinds, locks the front door

Press Lower: Turns off printer, waits 2 seconds, turns printer on (my printer sometimes needs to be power cycled in order to work, annoying but this makes it easier to live with)

Press Off: Turns off monitors and speakers

2. Sonos Pico remote in the kitchen

Play/Pause button: Play the Top 250 most played songs smart playlist on shuffle from iTunes in the kitchen speakers using AirPlay (I used an old Airport Express to use as an AirPlay receiver to the kitchen speakers)
    Play/Pause button a 2nd Time: Pauses music

Raise: Raises volume by 10%

Favoriote: Previous song

Lower: Lower volume by 10%

Skip: Skips to next track

These are just 2 examples and that's not even the more complex stuff I am doing with HomeSeer and the Pico remotes, this is exactly what I have been looking for ever since I got to home automation, so much flexibility. And I was able to take things a step further, using a Raspberry Pi I was able to use HomeBridge with the HomeSeer plugin allowing me to control Zwave devices in HomeKit! So I can still use Siri to control EVERYTHING! Ah its such a relief to have such powerful customization and none of it relies on the cloud, everything is local which is another plus.

Reviving a year old thread.

Philips Hue announced a few weeks ago that their remotes will soon be available as accessories in Apple's HomeKit. This is something I wish the Pico Remote could do (via its bridge). I could then use Pico remote to control any devies within the HomeKit ecosystem.

I might need to buy more Philips Hue remotes instead...

Reviving a year old thread.Philips Hue announced a few weeks ago that their remotes will soon be available as accessories in Apple's HomeKit. This is something I wish the Pico Remote could do (via its bridge). I could then use Pico remote to control any devies within the HomeKit ecosystem. I might need to buy more Philips Hue remotes instead...
    I would also love to get Picos exposed in HomeKit specifically for making the toggle switches for my Hunter Symphony ceiling fans have wall controls. It would be great to assign buttons on the Picos to control the smart fan's brightness and speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast