Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 'Smart Away' feature feedback request

Authorized Lutron Contributor

New 'Smart Away' feature feedback request

About a month ago we launched a new feature in the app called Smart Away, which randomly turns selected lights in your home on and off between 6 PM and 11 PM when you're away. This new feature gives your home a lived in look while you're not there. Smart Away can be triggered manually in the app or automatically if you're using your phone or Nest Home/Away Assist to tell your Caseta system if you're home or not. Now that Smart Away has been out there for a little while we'd like to know if you're using this new feature, and if so, what do you like about it and what (if anything) would you like to see in the future regarding Smart Away? Let us know...we'd love to hear from you!

Great feature but ONLY for single human dwellings . Without multi phone geofencing it has no value for family dwellings. Unless the whole family leaves and arrives together.
    can Lutron add multi phone geofencing so it only activates once the last listed phone leaves the boundary . And deactivates once any listed phone enters.
    alarm.com have this working on their app.

3. Likes Nosnhojm liked this post
    I'm using it this weekend while my wife and I are away on vacation! Thanks for the new feature!

I had wanted it for a long time and have used it since it came out. It is a good feature, BUT...

The randomly turning on and off selected lights should be based upon sunset, and not a set time. In SoCal, in the summer, the latest sunset is around 8:30pm, and in the winter, the earliest is around 5:00pm. So there is a lot of wasted time for the lights to be on in the summer, and it does not kick in early enough in winter. Also, as mentioned by another member, geofencing should have the capability of sensing all phones on the account.

I am using Smart Away as triggered by a Nest Thermostat being set to "Away". I also use an "Arriving Home" Scene.

I really like this feature. I actually find I am more often manually setting the Nest Thermostat to "Away" mode when I leave in the evenings just to ensure that the Smart Away triggers.

Wish list:
    1) It would be nice if Smart Away used something similar to the "Scenes" "Schedule" logic to set start/end times either relative to sunset or a fixed time.
    2) I wish there was more information/control over how the algorithm used to control the lights (e.g. settings for max brightness, how many lights may come on at once, etc.)
    3) I wish the Lutron widget (not the app!) allowed me to set the Nest Thermostat to away mode.

I look very forward to using this feature, but I'm not going to bother with it until Geofencing is totally locked down. Right now, the system has (in my view) a fatal flaw in that it toggles between home and away every time the phone loses connectivity with the network -- even for a moment. Network drops happen countless times in a day. There needs to be an ability to disregard these false triggers. Otherwise, we're all going to be walking around in a house that's constantly shifting between home and away states.

This is one of the features that caused me to purchase Lutron Caseta as part of my home automation system. Is there any plans to become compatible with the Ecobee 3? I actually replaced my Nest with the Ecobee3 because the Nest would always say that we where not home because we didn't walk through the hallway it is in, where as the Ecobee3 uses remote sensors that you can put in any room and has a follow me feature. Compatibility with the Ecobee and allowing me to adjust the times that correspond with my normal night activity would be great. I think its odd that Lutron assumes that 6pm to 11pm is the time window that everyone moves around at night.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! All suggestions have been captured and our development team has been made aware of your requests.

I just installed a bunch of Caseta switches and I like the smart away feature, but I have been running into some problems. The smart bridge keeps thnking my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge)is located several blocks from my house (triggering the lights). But when I double check location on the phone via the google map app, it locates me right at my house. Anyone have any ideas?

As a temporary fix, try increasing the geofence radius. (i.e. 500 ft instead of 1000 ft.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast