Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Dimmable LED tubes (T8/T12) for caseta?

Dimmable LED tubes (T8/T12) for caseta?

My laundry room has a single 2-bulb 4ft fluorescent tube fixture. The dumb switch failed, so I replaced it with a caseta dimmer (PD-6WCL). I knew in advance that this dimmer wasn't going to work with the magnetic ballast in the fixture, so I have the power cut to it until I find a solution that works.

Ultimately, my primary goal is to stay with Caseta. I considered the non-dimmable caseta switch, but it requires a neutral. I'd like to avoid having to use the neutral wire if at all possible. Dimming is a feature I would prefer to have anyway. The problem that I'm having is I cannot seem to find an LED solution that will work on the load side. I don't even care if it's type a, b , or c, I just want the ability to dim the the tubes with the caseta dimmer. There are not many dimmable t8/t12 bulbs out there, and the ones that are available seem to require either a proprietary dimmer or a single phase dumb dimmer like the MACL-153.

It's anyone familiar with this issue and know of a good way to reach my end goal? I can do any and all electrical work, so that's not an issue. I just want something that works with this Caseta dimmer without having to completely replace the fixture. Though that's looking like it might be my only solution...

The PD-5WS-DV is a Caseta Wireless on/off switch which does not require a neutral. I don't know if there is a solution that's dimmable.

Isn't that a PRO switch? I didn't think PRO switches were compatible with non-PRO hub...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Isn't that a PRO switch? I didn't think PRO switches were compatible with non-PRO hub...
    Yes, and they work just fine with the non-pro hub. I have several.

Oh gotcha. I was actually just on the phone with Lutron technical support (which is fantastic BTW), and they're going to send me a courtesy PD-5WS-DV to use in case i can't find a solution for the PD-6WCL. The guy says the PD-5WS-DV with cap installed will operate exactly like a dumb toggle, so I can even use it to toggle a magnetic ballast if need be. As for compatibility with PD-6WCL, he agreed there's essentially no tube style bulbs that have been tested with it. However, he told me that the PD-6WCL more or less operates just like the MACL-153, which is frequently listed in compatibility charts. He says they're not exactly identical in output and that there are niche cases where a PD-6WCL won't work when a MACL-153 does. But the majority of cases, especially with a ballast bypass, the PD-6WCL should work fine. Gonna try that route first.

6. Likes JaxFLBear liked this post