Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a Pico Activate HomeKit Scenes?

Can a Pico Activate HomeKit Scenes?

Just as HomeKit can control the Caseta/Serena system, it would be great if it can also work the other way i.e.. a Pico remote can activate HomeKit scenes. As an example I'd like to have a Pico near my front door programmed with an "AWAY" scene which would set the lighting and shades to the settings I've set (I know that is possible now) but also set the thermostats to my away settings, lock the doors,close the garage etc. And a "HOME" button that changes everything back when I return home.

What's nice about HomeKit in iOS 10 which I've been using in beta form is that all of your HomeKit components are in one place so it's very easy to program scenes. I'm hoping this can be added once Homekit is officially released next week. And I love how well the Pico's integrate so nicely with our "dumb" switches, so it would be a great addition IMO.

@AJF4ME

You're not alone in this thinking...

I've developed a "hack" to get the Pico remote "favorite" button to activate HomeKit scenes (described here... https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...something-else). It's a workaround, but it does work like a charm once you get the technique down.

Aside from that, I agree that it would be great for Lutron hardware to drive HomeKit instead of just HomeKit driving Lutron Hardware. There's a discussion of this issue on this thread... https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...0641#post10641

Now we just need to have LOTS of other people weigh in on this so that Lutron knows that the demand is there to merit the engineering resources.

3. Likes Zach R., jocamero liked this post
    Ah thanks for the links Southy. What I described is really one of the basics of true Home Automation so I hope Lutron makes that happen.

I purchased a extra lamp dimmer module on ebay for like $17. I just plug it in to an extra outlet and set it up like its lamp in my room. I created a automation scene in the home app to where if that "lamp" turns on, then activate scene-bedroom, etc. If that "lamp" is off, then turn off other stuff too. This is a workaround, and should be allowed straight out of the box, if Apple wants to get into the home automation system, they need to do it where you don't always have to use siri or your phone every time. a good ole fashioned switch (or pico remote mounted where a switch goes) never gets old our out dated as long as its smart too.

Something else I want lutron to do is make a garage door opener that works with our caseta system, can also be used as a trigger. A caseta fan controller. A motion sensor dimmer, no I know Im dreaming when I say i want to be able to use the motion sensor in homekit as a trigger, but it still would be nice to have my under cabinet lights come on when I walk into my kitchen and work with my caseta system. After walking into the kitchen, you could use those lights coming on as a trigger for another scene. They make devices like that already, actually whats in my kitchen now... but just not compatible with caseta platform.

Love reading everyones ideas and homekit knowledge on here. The internet isn't really filled with meaty homekit stuff yet.

6. Likes Zach R. liked this post
    That is a nice work around but yea it is ridiculous to have to do that when it should be baked into the system. I'm hoping once iOS 10 is released that all of the HomeKit manufacturers (like Lutron) will start adding more functionality.

I also just started using an app called Home by Matthias Hochgatterer which seems pretty sophisticated and does use triggers. Check it out.

You guys have to try the app I mentioned. I just started playing with it and you can do so much with it, but most importantly it works directly with HomeKit (I'm on iOS 10 tho) . If you program a scene in HomeKit, it shows up in that app, and if you program a scene in the app it shows up in HomeKit and any changes you make are synched between both apps! Plus it has so many triggers and conditions so you can add some very sophisticated scenes and actions that you can't do in HomeKit .

Ok so I bought an extra outlet module as per clegger and using the app I mentioned above, I programmed a button on the 4 button Pico to a "Goodbye" scene so when I press it:
    Serena shades close
    Thermostats are lowered
    Front door is locked
    I'll probably add a condition where if it's after Dusk, lights will turn on and off so it looks lived in

I programmed another button "I'm Home" that does the opposite of the Goodby button.
    Can the bottom button on the 4 button only function as an off switch?

11. Likes Zach R. liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by AJF4ME View Post
    Ok so I bought an extra outlet module as per clegger and using the app I mentioned above, I programmed a button on the 4 button Pico to a "Goodbye" scene so when I press it:
    Serena shades close
    Thermostats are lowered
    Front door is locked
    I'll probably add a condition where if it's after Dusk, lights will turn on and off so it looks lived in

I programmed another button "I'm Home" that does the opposite of the Goodby button.
    Can the bottom button on the 4 button only function as an off switch?
    With Caseta, the bottom button on a 4-button Pico will always function as an "all off". We thank you for sharing your findings though and hope you continue to enjoy our Caseta wireless products!

Quote Originally Posted by AJF4ME View Post
    You guys have to try the app I mentioned. I just started playing with it and you can do so much with it, but most importantly it works directly with HomeKit (I'm on iOS 10 tho) . If you program a scene in HomeKit, it shows up in that app, and if you program a scene in the app it shows up in HomeKit and any changes you make are synched between both apps! Plus it has so many triggers and conditions so you can add some very sophisticated scenes and actions that you can't do in HomeKit .
    I'm aware of this app and have been considering making the leap to buy it. So far, I've been able to do quite a bit with Elgato's free Eve app + Apple's Home app (I'm also running iOS 10). Can you help push me off the fence by describing some of the more sophisticated scenes and actions you've created? Thx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast