Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a Pico Activate HomeKit Scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by clegger View Post
    I purchased a extra lamp dimmer module on ebay for like $17. I just plug it in to an extra outlet and set it up like its lamp in my room. I created a automation scene in the home app to where if that "lamp" turns on, then activate scene-bedroom, etc. If that "lamp" is off, then turn off other stuff too. This is a workaround, and should be allowed straight out of the box, if Apple wants to get into the home automation system, they need to do it where you don't always have to use siri or your phone every time. a good ole fashioned switch (or pico remote mounted where a switch goes) never gets old our out dated as long as its smart too.

Something else I want lutron to do is make a garage door opener that works with our caseta system, can also be used as a trigger. A caseta fan controller. A motion sensor dimmer, no I know Im dreaming when I say i want to be able to use the motion sensor in homekit as a trigger, but it still would be nice to have my under cabinet lights come on when I walk into my kitchen and work with my caseta system. After walking into the kitchen, you could use those lights coming on as a trigger for another scene. They make devices like that already, actually whats in my kitchen now... but just not compatible with caseta platform.

Love reading everyones ideas and homekit knowledge on here. The internet isn't really filled with meaty homekit stuff yet.
    Clegger,

Glad you got things working. Re: sensor driven scene control... I think what you're looking for is JUST around the corner. There are a couple of manufactures that have announced the impending availability of HomeKit enabled motion sensors. Once they're available, there's no reason why you couldn't use those devices to trigger a scene that would turn on your kitchen lights.

I think your call for Lutron to make garage door openers and other devices will be addressed by other third parties out there (I think there may already be one for controlling garage doors), if not by Lutron. That said, I agree that having a good, old-fashioned button to make things happen (e.g., scenes) is spot on. THIS is where I see Lutron's big opportunity given their leadership in this space.

I hope that these discussions, in addition to helping others find their way, will help to motivate Lutron's continued investment in this space.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthboHomeKitGuy View Post
    I'm aware of this app and have been considering making the leap to buy it. So far, I've been able to do quite a bit with Elgato's free Eve app + Apple's Home app (I'm also running iOS 10). Can you help push me off the fence by describing some of the more sophisticated scenes and actions you've created? Thx.
    Mainly it's the Triggers and Conditions in the app that allow you to do more.

Front door unlock triggers Foyer light to turn on but only if it's after Dusk, and turns off after 5 minutes as an example.
    But I also saw that HomeKit will have something similar in the Automation section so I would wait until iOS 10 is released :
    https://youtu.be/1uOnCaVVydE

I'm currently running iOS 10 (in beta). The new Apple-branded "Home" app is nice and does support automation (e.g., the creation of geofences, triggers, etc.) but I think you'll still need third party apps for really sophisticated stuff. For example, the sorts of triggering we've been talking about (e.g., triggering the activation of a scene if a light is set to a specific dimming level) is not possible because it only tracks whether or not a light is turned on/off. Also, the ability to turn a scene off at a specified time interval after it's been activated is also not supported.

Ah then maybe you would like that other Home app . I was able to program a 4 button scene controller by adding a lamp dimmer to my setup as per clegger. Then I programmed Button 1 to turn on the lamp module to 100%, and in the app I programmed it to launch my "Goodbye" scene whenever the lamp module turns on to 100%. Then Button 2, 75% launches my "I'm Home" scene etc. Is that what you mean?

BTW I'm also using iOS 10 beta and the Automation section was working but then went bye bye for no reason so I didn't get to play with that much.

Here's a link to the app's website :

http://selfcoded.com/home/

I'm using the Apple HomeKit app to do this. I have a lutron on/off switch on a hallway that has 3 Phillips hue BR30 bulbs. In the apple home app, I set a automation using the lutron switch as the trigger. So when the switch is physically turned on the hue bulbs turn to soft light and 16% brightness. I wish it would work as part of a scene or that the automation let you use scenes as triggers.

I am also looking for this feature. I'm assuming it wouldn't be hard for the Pico remote to send a signal to SmartBridge 2 and send the command to HomeKit which would trigger an accessory or a scene.

This is something that is already happening with with my shades. My Pico remote sends a signal to the SmartBridge 2 which then opens my Serena Blinds and is updated instantly on HomeKit.

Putting some thought into it, HomeKit will also have to make an update because currently all switches are either On or Off. HomeKit would would require a switch with either 4 or 5 options.

I currently have a StaplesConnect hub which allows my Pico remotes (I have over 20) to control my Philips Hue lights. Like the hack mentioned, when HomeKit sees an update to the Hue light settings, it will trigger other HomeKit items, there is a delay that can range from 1 second to 1 minute.

I actually got a Wink 2 the other day to only be disappointed and found out that Pico remotes can only control Lutron products which made no sense.

Lutron really needs to open up more, it's heading in the right direction just needs a little more. I would be happy if my Pico remotes could trigger HomeKit accessories and scenes. Please Lutron, make this happen.

I'm sure it would be possible if Lutron didn't want to artificially differentiate the functionality of RA2. Elgato just released their Eve switch, and it can trigger complex scenes and automations with conditions and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by smart_home_guy View Post
    I'm sure it would be possible if Lutron didn't want to artificially differentiate the functionality of RA2. Elgato just released their Eve switch, and it can trigger complex scenes and automations with conditions and everything.
    I looked at the Eve switch but it has too many limitations in my opinion, first of all it can only turn on and off a scene granted you can use conditions. Bluetooth limits the range. It must be used inside of an electrical box.

I already have so many Pico remotes in places where there is no electrical box, that is the great thing about Pico remotes.

I invested in Pico remotes when Staples Connect was released but I am disappointed that Lutron has not expanded Pico remote compatibility into either Wink, SmartThings or HomeKit considering Staples Connect is all but discontinued. Lutron doesn't really lose anything by opening up more because they would profit on the Pico remotes and the SmartBridge 2 hub, its not like it would cannibalize any other part of the business. I wish there was an alternative to to these Pico remotes in size, price and reliability, I would gladly switch all 24 Pico remotes to something else in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeKit View Post
    I looked at the Eve switch but it has too many limitations in my opinion, first of all it can only turn on and off a scene granted you can use conditions. Bluetooth limits the range. It must be used inside of an electrical box.

I already have so many Pico remotes in places where there is no electrical box, that is the great thing about Pico remotes.

I invested in Pico remotes when Staples Connect was released but I am disappointed that Lutron has not expanded Pico remote compatibility into either Wink, SmartThings or HomeKit considering Staples Connect is all but discontinued. Lutron doesn't really lose anything by opening up more because they would profit on the Pico remotes and the SmartBridge 2 hub, its not like it would cannibalize any other part of the business. I wish there was an alternative to to these Pico remotes in size, price and reliability, I would gladly switch all 24 Pico remotes to something else in a heartbeat.
    I totally agree, the Eve Switch is not a good fit for me either for the same reasons you mention, but it does show that you can integrate more advanced functionality with HomeKit than is natively available in Caseta. I also prefer that lighting controls remain within one system to minimize glitches and issues. I have been able to successfully trigger HomeKit scenes through value triggers (IE: when living room light = 1%, activate the "Evening Scene") But 1 out of 20 times, it fails to execute for some unknown reason. This isn't an acceptable level of reliability for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast