Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Question about direct ethernet connection to Homworks qs

Question about direct ethernet connection to Homworks qs

Looking for information on connecting directly via ethernet to a homeworks system. Have a system installed at a location and for a long time had a router there for use to connect just to the system. Recently this router was removed accidently and misplaced. Today we tried to direct connect to the system via an ethernet cable, but was unsuccessful as we didnt know what to statically set the ethernet adapter on the computer ip wise. Unfortunately the location is in the middle of nowhere so getting online to try and look up info was slow so we gave up and planned to find a spare router to bring up there and go via wifi. Problem is its bugging me that I couldnt quickly connect, and now need to know how to for the future. Thanks in advance.

If you know what the IP of the Processor/s was, then you need to plug your laptop to the it via an ethernet cable. Nothing else! Then depending on the computer you have and operating system, you need to make the IP of the laptop one that is in the range. So if the IP of the Lutron processor was 192.168.1.89, then you can make your laptop 192.168.1.25 or anything other than .89.

Sometimes, I have had to change from DHCP on the processor to a static that I want and then change the IP on my laptop as above.

If you are unsure about these IP settings, then I suggest getting someone that is good with that stuff to set it up for you and show you what to change.
    J. Alexander Luty
    iQ Electronic Interiors, Inc.

3. Likes mcignarella liked this post
    A another option which is useful is if you navigate to the Lutron folder generally under Program Files x86 then Lutron then Homeworksqs10.xx then under tools you have 2 programs to help connect and troubleshoot network issues 1) Deviceip 2) ProcessorAutoDetect Both of those utilities work very well

Quote Originally Posted by nymtnbiker View Post
    Looking for information on connecting directly via ethernet to a homeworks system. Have a system installed at a location and for a long time had a router there for use to connect just to the system. Recently this router was removed accidently and misplaced. Today we tried to direct connect to the system via an ethernet cable, but was unsuccessful as we didnt know what to statically set the ethernet adapter on the computer ip wise. Unfortunately the location is in the middle of nowhere so getting online to try and look up info was slow so we gave up and planned to find a spare router to bring up there and go via wifi. Problem is its bugging me that I couldnt quickly connect, and now need to know how to for the future. Thanks in advance.

The information on the processor's current IP settings is readily available by openning the Designer software and look at the activation tab - even if offline.