Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: RadioRa2 Select and seeTouch Hybrid Keypads?

RadioRa2 Select and seeTouch Hybrid Keypads?

Hey! I'm a radio ra newbie looking for some assistance with keypads. I recently passed the L1 class and downloaded the programming software. In the meantime, I purchased a main repeater as well as a RRD-HN6BRL for testing the system. After programing the keypad, and testing out basic functionality, all was good! After reading a bit more, and comparing RR2 select vs RR2, it looks like RR2 select isn't compatible with seeTouch keypads - how is it that I can program this? Am I missing something with this comparison guide?

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...comparison.pdf

Thanks!

We might need to regrade your test! Just kidding.

RA2 Select was created to fill the gap between Caseta and RR2. Select uses "select"devices from RR2 and the Caseta App (cleverly renamed "Caseta & RA2 Select App") for programming. Anyone with a smart phone can get the app.

The devices you programmed with the RadioRA 2 software will not work in a R2S system unless you reset them and use the App to program them. The hybrid keypad is not going to work in R2S at all. There are no keypads in R2S unless you count the scene control Pico's (and I don't).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    We might need to regrade your test! Just kidding.

RA2 Select was created to fill the gap between Caseta and RR2. Select uses "select"devices from RR2 and the Caseta App (cleverly renamed "Caseta & RA2 Select App") for programming. Anyone with a smart phone can get the app.

The devices you programmed with the RadioRA 2 software will not work in a R2S system unless you reset them and use the App to program them. The hybrid keypad is not going to work in R2S at all. There are no keypads in R2S unless you count the scene control Pico's (and I don't).
    Hey I legit passed this test! There is just a lot to take in, and it's pretty overwhelming! So, this may be a dumb question, but how do I know if I'm using R2S or RR2? I assume that because I only completed L1 of the class, I'm using R2S, but why them am I able to program my seeTouch keypad?

4. Likes randyc liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jon102034050 View Post
    Hey I legit passed this test! There is just a lot to take in, and it's pretty overwhelming! So, this may be a dumb question, but how do I know if I'm using R2S or RR2? I assume that because I only completed L1 of the class, I'm using R2S, but why them am I able to program my seeTouch keypad?
    Passing the test is for the Essentials software for designing and programming the full RadioRA2 system. R2S runs strictly from the app and requires almost no training. R2S programs exactly like Caseta, but you get to play with larger systems and more devices- and an "upgrade" path should full keypads be required (no need to rip out system, replace R2S main repeater, default system, add in RR2 main and program from laptop).

In Jon's defense, that training waaaayyyy predates the R2S system. It's probably not even mentioned.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

ah, this helps. Thanks!

The naming of the 2 systems can be a bit confusing. To add to the confusion, RA2 Select uses RadioRA 2 hardware. Some RR2 devices (like the hybrid keypad) are not available in R2S.

If you are using a computer to program, it is RadioRA 2. If you are using a phone/app, it is RA2 Select. R2S is intended to be DIY so there is no certification program.

L1 gives you access to the Essentials software. Essentials limits you to 1 main repeater and 100 devices. L2 gives you access to Inclusive software which allows 2 main repeaters and 200 devices. There are a few additional devices available in Inclusive.

There is no dumb question.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the very comprehensive explanation, I appreciate it! I don't anticipate I'll need more than 100 devices in the near future, but who knows I guess! I've now got around fifteen switches on order to do more extensive testing before I make the plunge to swap all zwave switches in my house ;)