Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat not visible by Home-Smart Home Automation/ElGato E

Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat not visible by Home-Smart Home Automation/ElGato E

I just installed my first of three Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostats, RTH9580WF. I integrated it into my SmartBridge 2 Pro, and can see and control it from the Lutron Caseta App on my iPhone. Further, I have been experimenting with two different HomeKit apps:

1. Eve from ElGato
    2. Home - Smart Home Automation from Matthias H.

However, neither of these two apps can see the Thermostat.........in retrospect, the Honeywell thermostats do NOT claim to be HomeKit compatible. However, I thought, apparently incorrectly, that because the SmartBridge Pro 2 was HomeKit compatible, any device hanging off of it could be a "HomeKit accessory", like all the dimmers, switches, and pico remotes. After all, the dimmers, switches, and pico remotes aren't listed as HomeKit compatible, just the Smart Bridge 2. So now it would appear that I have three thermostats that cannot be controlled from within the HomeKit eco system.

• Could I have configured something wrong and it should be visible as an accessory?
    • If not, is this also the case for the EcoBee, Carrier WiFi, and Nest Thermostats?
    • If it cannot be seen as an accessory, by design or existing limitation, are there any plans for a SmartBridge firmware update that could correct this? Is that even possible, or must each device at all levels be HomeKit compatible, period?
    • If I am just out of luck, and must find a work around, can someone explain technically what the issue is? For example: "The Security protocol between the Smart Bridge and the Thermostat doesn't meet HomeKit standards and so it cannot be an accessory."

Justin.CoolDallas

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats that you have are not HomeKit-enabled, meaning they do not have the HomeKit chip inside the unit. The integration between the thermostat and the bridge happens via a cloud-to-cloud connection, unlike the Caseta devices in your home which communicate directly with the Smart Bridge via our Clear Connect RF. If you are looking to incorporate thermostats into your HomeKit ecosystem, you'll need to purchase a HomeKit-enabled thermostat. As of today there are 3 to choose from - Honeywell Lyric gen 2, Ecobee3, and iDevices. All of these thermostats will have a "works with Apple HomeKit" label on the packaging and all of these thermostats will show up in the Lutron app as well as the other HomeKit apps you mentioned above.

Eric H.

Thank you for the prompt response. But your statement:

"The integration between the thermostat and the bridge happens via a cloud-to-cloud connection"

That would seem to imply that if I lose my internet connection, the Lutron app will no longer be able to communicate with the Honeywell WiFi Thermostat. Is that true?

Justin in Dallas

That's true.

Also, for what it's worth, if you lose your internet connection your Honeywell app wouldn't be able to control your thermostat either.

I have Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat. The programming and any overrides that you may need can be carried out through the touchscreen or remotely through a computer, a smartphone or tablet (using the free Android or Apple app).

The onscreen display, which can be set to have 1 of 12 different color schemes, lets you know, the time and date, the indoor temperature and humidity and also the outdoor temperature and humidity. There also display remotely on your device.