Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LED strip lights + Caseta + Wink?

LED strip lights + Caseta + Wink?

Hi all,

I'm about to install undercabinet lighting. I have prewired low-voltage, outlets, and switches at the ready. I am fine buying any LEDs and transformers/drivers.

I have all Caseta in the rest of my kitchen, PD-6WCLs and a half dozen Serena shades. They all work really well via physical switch, Pico, Wink, and Echo voice control. I love them and they are bombproof, plus they degrade gracefully when the internet or automation hardware falls over.

I would really like my undercabinet lighting to work the same way so I don't have a lighting one-off. Reading this forum, though, it sounds like the only MLV/ELV-rated dimmers are for some reason not Wink-compatible. Am I missing anything? Are there any reasonable options?

As a related aside, it seems to me that the LED lamp manufacturers can fit a whole line-level AC driver in each GU10 base, for what must be about $3, that doesn't buzz, that dims down nice and low and emulates incandescent color shift, and that presents a load that PD-6WCL can handle just fine. So, is there not something similar for my strip lighting in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by nebster View Post
    Hi all,

I'm about to install undercabinet lighting. I have prewired low-voltage, outlets, and switches at the ready. I am fine buying any LEDs and transformers/drivers.

I have all Caseta in the rest of my kitchen, PD-6WCLs and a half dozen Serena shades. They all work really well via physical switch, Pico, Wink, and Echo voice control. I love them and they are bombproof, plus they degrade gracefully when the internet or automation hardware falls over.

I would really like my undercabinet lighting to work the same way so I don't have a lighting one-off. Reading this forum, though, it sounds like the only MLV/ELV-rated dimmers are for some reason not Wink-compatible. Am I missing anything? Are there any reasonable options?

As a related aside, it seems to me that the LED lamp manufacturers can fit a whole line-level AC driver in each GU10 base, for what must be about $3, that doesn't buzz, that dims down nice and low and emulates incandescent color shift, and that presents a load that PD-6WCL can handle just fine. So, is there not something similar for my strip lighting in 2016?
    I had the same concerns when I remodeled my kitchen recently. InspiredLED took care of it and everything works fine. Their LED strip lights work fine with Wink.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to come back to this thread and update, but I found a way to assemble my own as well, and it worked out great. The trick was an ELV dimmer with a better low-draw threshold, which I found on Amazon in several different wattages. You have to size the transformer much closer to the intended wattage to get a good low-end dim, but so far it's worked flawlessly. And it was much cheaper to DIY than to go with one of the more polished manufacturers... it just took a while to find what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseDoctor View Post
    I had the same concerns when I remodeled my kitchen recently. InspiredLED took care of it and everything works fine. Their LED strip lights work fine with Wink.
    What was the exact setup you got from them that worked? Was it hard-wired?

Quote Originally Posted by rsumma729 View Post
    What was the exact setup you got from them that worked? Was it hard-wired?
    Transformers were mounted in the basement and I ran 14/2 wire to the cabinets (though this was overkill). Attached is the drawing they provided me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inspiredled layout-1.jpg  

6. Thanks rsumma729 thanked for this post
    House Doctor, thank you for posting the design. Please confirm the exact model numbers of the lutron devices you used. The ones attached to the transformers and called out in the design as "Lutron Caseta Switch supplied by customer".

Yeah, I'm wondering which voltage switch you used? This was great - thanks